Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
CTCOBRAGUY said:
Those are nice numbers Stangin. :cool: I'm curious, if you had a catted X instead of the O/R X, how much less hp do you think there would be? I'm working on the same setup with the exception of catted vs. O/R. You mentioned you'll probably get a powerpipe as well. Do you think you'd be able to keep your strut tower brace on?

Nice Numbers :joy:
thanks:) . i would assume that a catted x-pipe would produce about 4-6 rwhp less. this is just my assumption. i would have gone with a catted x-pipe, but when i bought the car it was already on. i plan on getting a upr powerpipe which "should" clear the STB. i've seen pics of it somewhere. its a tight fit, but it should fit under there. reason why i'm getting the upr powerpipe is b/c most of the faster cobra guys that i see are running these pipes, so it has to be good stuff:lol: .

·
Registered
439 Posts
stangin' said:
heres my graph. the dyno guy said its running pretty rich. i should be able to squeeze a few more horses out of it with a tune, but not until i get headers and a powerpipe of some sort and a MAF.

Abosultely identical to mine, incl A/F ratio. Same mods too. (see sig) On the day they tuned my A/F ratio to about 13.5 across the board but got no gains at all. So I left the stock tuning. It was a bit of a suprise because I should have got mid 290's. I would like to try another tune because I'm sure there's more HP in it.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
stricky said:

Abosultely identical to mine, incl A/F ratio. Same mods too. (see sig) On the day they tuned my A/F ratio to about 13.5 across the board but got no gains at all. So I left the stock tuning. It was a bit of a suprise because I should have got mid 290's. I would like to try another tune because I'm sure there's more HP in it.
hmm...thats interesting. i would assume you would of gained some power by leaning it out, weird. let us know how it goes if/when you do get another tune.

i got you beat on that mileage thing:lol: .
22,500 miles as of 4/9/02.
97 cobra coupe, rio red:D .

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
CTCOBRAGUY said:
Those are nice numbers Stangin. :cool: I'm curious, if you had a catted X instead of the O/R X, how much less hp do you think there would be? I'm working on the same setup with the exception of catted vs. O/R. You mentioned you'll probably get a powerpipe as well. Do you think you'd be able to keep your strut tower brace on?

Nice Numbers :joy:
The catted X will cost you about 5 RWHP over the off-road X. And yes, the UPR powerpipe WILL clear the factory strut tower brace. It is also 3 1/2" if you were wondering. ;)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm getting dynoed for the first time here in 1 1/2 weeks. It is a group dyno day, so there won't be any A/F monitoring - should I stick around afterwards to have them do another run for me with the A/F or is it that big a deal?

I have a vorteched 96 cobra, with the stock (hyperchips I think?) chip. I figure it is running very rich for a supercharged application, because I am running the stock since I get 15 mpg city and 20 mpg highway with 3.73 gears. I am really more concerned with engine longevity than power, so I was thinking that since I think I am running rich, that should help with the engine longevity, and that I should forego getting a custom chip.

The only other power mod I have is an offroad H-pipe- how would this affect my a/f mix?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
96BlackVenom said:
I thought 96-98 Cobras came stock w/ 305 hp. That's at least what ford advertised it at. Why is he only pulling 280 something w/ mods?

286 rwhp is about 329-330hp at the crank. 15% drivetrain loss.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
96vert said:
I'm getting dynoed for the first time here in 1 1/2 weeks. It is a group dyno day, so there won't be any A/F monitoring - should I stick around afterwards to have them do another run for me with the A/F or is it that big a deal?

I have a vorteched 96 cobra, with the stock (hyperchips I think?) chip. I figure it is running very rich for a supercharged application, because I am running the stock since I get 15 mpg city and 20 mpg highway with 3.73 gears. I am really more concerned with engine longevity than power, so I was thinking that since I think I am running rich, that should help with the engine longevity, and that I should forego getting a custom chip.

The only other power mod I have is an offroad H-pipe- how would this affect my a/f mix?
i would definately get a custom tune if i were you. sometimes runnging too rich can also hurt you. a tune will make your car run better and safer knowing that a chip was programmed specifically for your car and not a chip thats "one size fits all."

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
stangin' said:

286 rwhp is about 329-330hp at the crank. 15% drivetrain loss.
The drivetrain loss on the 96-98 Cobra's with the T-45 transmission is 17%. I got that info. from a Ford drivetrain engineer. :D

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
ALLNTRL said:
The drivetrain loss on the 96-98 Cobra's with the T-45 transmission is 17%. I got that info. from a Ford drivetrain engineer. :D
Yup. I don't know where that 15% number originated

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
ALLNTRL said:
hmm... so is 17% only for 96-98 cobras or does this apply to all stangs in general? i've always read that it was 15%:confused: .

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
stangin' said:

hmm... so is 17% only for 96-98 cobras or does this apply to all stangs in general? i've always read that it was 15%:confused: .
I'm not real sure because alot of that depends on what trans. you are running. With the newer stangs running the T-3650 I haven't heard if the losses are the same or different. I know that I have heard that most of the GM cars that are running the T-56's the loss is 18%. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
jburson said:
ALLNTRL-- any idea what the driveline loss on a '98 gt with an AOD is?
If I remember correctly (it's been awhile) I think that the late model auto. stangs were losing 22% thru the driveline. Hope that helps.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts