Ford Mustang Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I'd send them the dyno sheet and a copy of your receipt and say WTF!!!??? Then see if they address it any. I doubt it..... :rolleyes: Thanks for putting your own dough down though!!

You oughtta write to MM&FF or 5.0 Magazine (which ever one did the dyno testing), and tell them what you came up with, as compared to what they got. I'm sure IF they respond, they'll say that some cars react different to the same mods. :rolleyes:

Yeah, and some magazine's dynos "react" differently when the right amount of $$$ is flashed before them. :D

BTW... When are we gonna get one of these GROOVY spacers for the Bullitt Intake?? :lol:

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Thanks for going through the expence to help the greater public. There are way to many companies out there that are more than willing to rip us off.
I think they need a damn good spanking.

Dwayne

·
Registered
113 Posts
JUST TRYING

WHAT IS O/R TALKING CATS OR H???????????

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks silver. I was going to pick up some aluminum this weekend to make one. I blame PHP sure, but I'm mainly pissed at 5.0 Mazagine for going along with this. Most of us don't have $200 to throw away on junk that doesn't work. I was really suspicious of thsi from the start, if 10 HP were that easy, Ford would have done it from the factory. Their $1300 Bullitt intake only nets 5 HP out of the box, so that should have told us all something right there.

I'm not buying 5.0 for a while. Seems like MM&FF is the only one you can trust. They've said a C&L is a waste on a stock engine and pulleys don't help much on the 99+ GTs, so they have a little more credibility than the other mags.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
So If I ran this spacer with one of those little electric powered turbos and one of those whizz bang air spinning turbo max inserts I should pick up almost 100 HP. Sign me up please ship them to;
Mad SOB
123 crazy st
nutzville
AL 0u812.

How fuggin many people are out there trying to rip us off??? It makes me:barf:

·
Registered
524 Posts
If this thing only takes 15 minutes to install, Id be curious to see what would happen if you took it off and installed it on one of your buddies' cars--maybe a supercharged one--then dyno it. Different cars react differently to mods.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Thanks silver35th for the info. Appreciate it!

:joy:

·
Registered
679 Posts
In Pauls defense he did say that in a stock setting you would get 3hp and 5lbs.If you look at the graph there are some 5-8lbs in the 2000-4000rpm range which is good for driving around which could help in gas milage too.silver35 car is a little over stock ,but the bullitt intake only gains min. amounts of hp and torque on a stock, almost stock appl.(2001 bullits dyno 230 stock,most gts dyno 220-225 stock)and the bullitts have underdrivepullies ($200)
and the intake $1300.For $1500 you can have 5-10 hp no add. torque down low, because the bullitt intake losses a little torque down low,or you can spend $200 and get 5-10lbs of tq down in the 2-4grand department and 3-5 hp in the upper range4-6 grand.Am I the only one that thought that if it was even close to the numbers that the bullit intake gets it would be worth the money.
$1300 5-10hp na bullitt intake (maybe 5 stock)Cams, p&p heads(maybe 10hp)The extreme super charger(30hp)
$200 3hpand3lbs torque at peak(so far tested)
Lets see what it will do on a high compression 4.6 with good cams and some portin.If you get 5-10 hpand some tq ITS WORTH THE MONEY!!!!!
Let alone if with some boost you get 15-20hp.
The point is who knows???Its another piece of the puzzle that with more mods could gain more in the long run.JMO

JOEL

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
and the bullitts have underdrivepullies ($200)
Actually the bullitts do not have underdrive pullies. The Bullitt intake on my car was worth 1.5 MPH at the track on my car.

and the intake $1300.For $1500 you can have 5-10 hp no add. torque down low, because the bullitt intake losses a little torque down low
How are you figuring they have less torque down low, my car lost nothing down low or mid range with the intake? Also on a 99-02 car the bullitt intake can be bought, installed by the owner and after reselling the stock intake done for less than $800.

Cams, p&p heads(maybe 10hp)The extreme super charger(30hp)
Again where are you getting these numbers from? Since when are cams and ported and polished heads only worth 10HP? Cams alone are a proven 10-15RWHP gain, ported heads 20-30RWHP. I don't even want to know what your "extreme super charger is".

Bill

·
Registered
80 Posts
The point is: sounds like this magazine test was a bunch of BS. We trust these mags and they clearly mirepresented something.

At least if you buy a Bullitt for "$1300" you can take it to the bank that you'll get 5-6 HP NA, maybe more with other mods, but for $200, instead of wasting your money on a thin plate of metal, you could send that $200 to VRS and get a mod that does what they claim it does. VRS even says some other brands make a few more HP than theirs. That's the kind of supplier I want to support, not some con-man.

$1300[more like $1000] for 5 hp

is a far better deal than

$200 for ZERO hp.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Theres many things that will not give that much hp on a NA car. If it were a sc or n20 car I am sure those results would be alot higher. Same things goes for those $200 70mm Tbody's everyone buys for their Gt with exhaust and pullies- what do they get- nothing or maybe 1-2 hp. But throw on a 70mm tbody on a sc engine and you will get 10hp or more. Its all realative to what you have. Same thing with the bullitt intake on a NA car maybe 5-10hp but throw it on a sc car and you have 30+. It just goes to show you that you dont need to waste your money on those little things unless you plan on adding a power adder.

Sg

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
vetkilr said:
In Pauls defense he did say that in a stock setting you would get 3hp and 5lbs.If you look at the graph there are some 5-8lbs in the 2000-4000rpm range which is good for driving around which could help in gas milage too.silver35 car is a little over stock ,but the bullitt intake only gains min. amounts of hp and torque on a stock, almost stock appl.(2001 bullits dyno 230 stock,most gts dyno 220-225 stock)and the bullitts have underdrivepullies ($200)
and the intake $1300.For $1500 you can have 5-10 hp no add. torque down low, because the bullitt intake losses a little torque down low,or you can spend $200 and get 5-10lbs of tq down in the 2-4grand department and 3-5 hp in the upper range4-6 grand.Am I the only one that thought that if it was even close to the numbers that the bullit intake gets it would be worth the money.
$1300 5-10hp na bullitt intake (maybe 5 stock)Cams, p&p heads(maybe 10hp)The extreme super charger(30hp)
Lets see what it will do on a high compression 4.6 with good cams and some portin.If you get 5-10 hpand some tq ITS WORTH THE MONEY!!!!!
The point is who knows???Its another piece of the puzzle that with more mods could gain more in the long run.JMO
JOEL
And Joel, all of this vast knowledge comes from where? Experience or "well I heard that the..."???

If you like PHP, and their products that's fine, no one will think any less of you. But don't start pulling numbers out of your ass, just to make an argument with people who have done these mods, and proven the gains to be significant.

Bill did it, and gained. I did it, and gained, Jim Vee did it and gained. Should I give some more examples?

joe

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
vetkilr said:

JOEL
:lol: Your comparing an intake spacer to the Bulliit intake? Good information, I am gonna go put my stock intake back on and buy a spacer. :mad:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Your correct as always JOE.Just pointin out that one dyno run does not a bad part make.Yes you gained,Bill gained.How much?As everyone knows your car is almost maxed out now.Silver35 is not.Dont you think it would be worth a little time to truly see if the parts worth anything,instead of lookin at a car with less mods than yours and sayin that the part is worthless.Lets wait and see if a car with ported heads,cams,that still has the plastic intake can gain 5-8hp is it worth it than?Im statin nothin that hasnt already been said,I had STEVE at Tunetech in fl.(by the way)install my heads and while I was there he had many of cars on his dyno computer stored and gt and bullitts.Hp graphs almost identical.Every person on here is lookin for something diff. for their car some want low rpm tq,some high revin hp.Yeah it was not the best gains in the world.Maybe in the mag the car was dynod at oper. temp,than after the spacer it pickd up more,because it was now cold.We all know that these cars loss hp when warm.Yet silver35 picked up some hp even after 3 runs.Let some more data come in before any conclusions can be drawn.Thats all Im sayin.If Im wrong,I gladly admit my mistake publicly.But these might work in a more(like yours)mod'd car.

·
Registered
127 Posts
This link is being sent net-wide, I hope you guys know!

First of all, for all these guys that feel screwed over by the magazine - what are you thinking? How do you think they get paid? Yeah, of course they are going to spit out the best dyno info, and disregard any negative info! My lifetime goal is to be one of these scum-sucking writers! Yeah, they don't tlel the whole story. For instance, the motor could have been cooled down when the intake spacer dyno occurred, and they conveniently left that out.

However, I do commend the original poster for trying the spacer out! Guys like you give the good info that the rest of us should actually use when modifying our cars. Yeah, you might have noticed that I don't even own a 4.6 powered car, and if I do, it will be a 96-98 DOHC Cobra. Why? Because they just aren't as cost effective to mod, and I enjoy racing on a super-strict budget!

Moral of the story - that 200 bucks for an intake spacer, 200 bucks for a throttle body, etc, etc would go much farther towards just throwing a blower on the 4.6 and making some real power!

Second moral of the story - don't believe the hype you read in the rags. They CAN'T provide 100% unbiased reviews, because they would go out of business! It's not just 5.0 either, MM&FF is just as guilty of sucking up to it's big advertisers. Take it with a grain of salt, go out on a limb, and try your own experiments!

-Jacob

/rant

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Okay a couple quick observations. First Silver35th's car was dyno'd at 4:46 pm then installed the spacer then dyno'd again at 5:11 and 5:22 in my book that is in favor of the spacer since his car has 25 minute cool down time betwen the before run.

You pointed out that Joe's car is maxed out. Is mine? I don't think so, still running stock unported heads, stock cams, stock exhaust manifolds so I may have not gotten everything out fo the intake yet.

Also you mention to lets see if a car with ported heads, cams would see a better gain but in the past you've been adamant about how your car is restricted by the stock intake causing your power to fall off so your now saying a small intake spacer will make the difference? If you put enough parts on a car and do enough work but leave one thing alone (bottle neck like the intake) then of course you'll get more power out of it doesn't mean something else out there won't make more like the SVO or Bullitt intake. I could go as far as doing a massive port job, bigger valves, extrune honed intake, big cams with stock headers dyno the car. Then install long tubes and brag about how headers gave me a 50RWHP gain which isn't the truth.

Bill

21 - 40 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.