Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I picked up this 93 GT about a month ago. Its got 179k miles on it, but runs awesome. I have every service record from December of 93, and know it been well cared for, being I have been around this car since it was purchased by my uncle in 93. Its 111.7% stock. I came from a H/C/I 302, which was a blast even putting down a mere 298hp/340tq. I have always wanted a turbo car, being I have yet to see one here in my town, nor the text town, nor any of the local strips. It would be nice to have something different down here.

So to the point. I have 3000 bucks to mess with... Technically WellsFargo has it, (gotta love 5k credit cards). I have been doing some research on the On3 kits, and have read more good than bad. Talked with the local tuner and he told me, to pull the heads, do springs, studs and good gaskets, run 6lbs and a tune. As well as 3.73s/4.10s and I should come in around 320-350rwhp and have an awesome daily driver. Does this all sound about right? Besides the On3 kit, I want it stock under the hood, well for as far as you can see. I may throw some 1.7s on there though for bit more lift.

Let me know guys. I haven't seen to many numbers around here on stock engines from intake to pan. So if you have, and or know someone who's ran this, please drop your .02. Thanks Fellas!

Also wanted to throw in there that I will be running 42lb injectors, and a 255lph pump. Also will be choosing a Pro-M Maf.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Doesnt sound dumb at all.

By studs, you mean cylinder head studs?

The only dumb part is running a 3.73/4.10 with a TURBO. Do not go to that gear ratio. If i were you I would hold onto the stock gears and put that money elsewhere. Or just reduce your credit card debt lol.

Do some searching on gears and turbos. The highest i have seen have been like 3.55s with built cars. Most are around the 3.08/3.27 area.

Turbomustangs.com is a great resource as well (the turboforums)

·
Registered
234 Posts
If I read your post right the only thing dumb would be using a credit card to buy mods. Remember FI causes extra wear and tear. With a high mileage motor you could blow it up asap. If you don't have the cash to fix what you might break or even the kit I would save up and pay cash. Not trying to lecture you but I'm speaking from my experiences.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
If I read your post right the only thing dumb would be using a credit card to buy mods. Remember FI causes extra wear and tear. With a high mileage motor you could blow it up asap. If you don't have the cash to fix what you might break or even the kit I would save up and pay cash. Not trying to lecture you but I'm speaking from my experiences.
while I agree with what you have said...

running that high of gear is a GOOD idea?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
The only part that may be "dumb" is really just knowing your limits. Put boost or nitrous on any car and you can get problems. If you're using a CC to purchase all this stuff, sounds like you might not have "oh sh*t" money if something goes boom.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Sounds like a good idea to me! But I wouldnt do it to a daily driver, more power = broken stuff. Unless yo have the extra loot to fix it when your trans,clutch,rearend, or block go kablooey

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was actually going to pay cash for it, until My bank offered me this card. 6% interest for the first 6 months. Ill have it payed off by then. I figured I need to build my credit some how. Alright so gears are a no go. I guess I was thinking of the S/C world. And yes, head studs.

·
Registered
452 Posts
i would do it. this is my first turbo car and i love it. is this your dd? head studs are a good idea but not needed right off the bat. as long as the timing is good your stockers will last a little. what gears are in the car now?

·
4,305 Posts
Outside what has been mentioned. I question the work to the stock heads v. just find a good conditioned used aftermarket head. I do not know the actual cost difference but seems wise to look into it. After all what are the chances of just running 6lbs of boost for long. Matter of fact I'd probably not even pull the stock heads until the headgaskets actually blew.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
if using a credit card, (i know, i know.... you'll pay it off before buying more mods, LOL...) i would def. buy parts that will either last the whole length of your mustangs journey through life, or I would spend CASH for power adders, break stuff learning, and use the CC to fix the carnage on your daily driver so you can get to work Monday, LOL... theres a post on here about mods people were sorry they did, and mods they are most happy that they did. read that, cause if your buying on credit, you simply cannot make mistakes! that being said, keep the stock gears, keep the stock longblock, don't replace the stock head bolts, and gaskets, they are the beginners best friend! get a small kit that can grow (T-4 flange that can accept bigger turbo later) a 61 would prolly be as big as you would ever need for now, and work the car's chassis to better process the power. (chassis mods are the best thing to get if buying on credit) later on, freshen the combo with a good block, some heads, and upgraded turbo. (mabye a 67, 72, 0r even a 76) main thing i'm preachin' here is grow the combo, your mechanical skill, driving skill, and budget as you go. I'm sittin here in the garage looking at a pile of ill-spent money (both cash and credit) and have a pile of POTENTIAL.... (only) not tryin' to preach here, but just dont like seein' guys piss money away and come up disappointed..... and in debt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts