Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the drive shafts have been letting go around 140mph and on the dyno at 120 I could feel a major vibration. So what happens when you put gears in them is the problem a rpm issue will it come apart sooner at less MPH with 373? Just curious what you guys have seen.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The DS breaking has been accredited to vibration at high rpm more times than not. People have figured that spinning the DS at a certain RPM while under load causes failure. Because of this, people with taller gears should be aware that since they are spinning the DS faster than stock they are at a greater risk of breakage. I have 3.73 gears and my rpm at 85 is about the same as if I were doing 100 stock (or close to it). I have been fine so far but it is something to keep in mind

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
153 Posts
Edit:

This can be confusing at times for me. Someone got me off track in another thread elsewhere. I was making the point the rpms you could turn in each gear would go down without hitting critical speed. He came back with putting the car in neutral would still spin the driveshaft is the same, which is true but I was also right from an rpm for a given gear driving down the road perspective. The thing that got me confused is, with a gear change, the driveshaft will spin faster going from IE 3.31's to 4.10's. That represents how many times the DS rotates for every turn of the wheel, no matter the diameter. Knowing that the mph before hitting critical speed will go down if you think of it that way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts