Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone suffer from an extremely "clacky" driveline with their 3650 Gts? I guess the noise(s) I'm referring to would be best described as driveline slap. In other words, when I'm driving around town in local traffic and making lots of stops/starts, the car seems to "slap" or "clack" when I'm taking off from a light, or if I'm in traffic accelerating/decelerating while in a gear - like say 2nd gear. I thought it was normal for a RWD car until I drove a '98 GT T-45 and a new 2002 GT with the 3650 trans. Neither car exhibited the clack or driveline play that mine seems to have.

I'm taking the car in for warranty service to see if the service techs at the dealer can address this problem, but I'd rather send them with some guidance if anyone has found a fix for this. I read something about someone swapping gears recently and adjusting a "yoke" (sp?) in the differential to minimize driveline play/lash. Could this be the problem?

·
Registered
313 Posts
My 01 doesnt do that but I did drive a friends 99 cobra and his did that. I think something is wrong but dont know what it is.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My 01 GT does this as well. It is almost a popping noise coming to stops, starting out or getting off or on the gas. I took it in and they mechanic said this is normal for a standard transmission vehicle. I think it is excessive since my friend's 2000 GT 5-speed doesn't make any noises and is smooth as silk even getting on or off the gas car in 4th or 5th gear. I plan on doing a gear swap shortly and hope that the mechanic is able to set the tolerances better so it isn't nearly as bad. I had read on this board about guys taking in their carsd to have this backlash adjusted by the dealer and they made it worse or didn't fix it at all.

·
Registered
127 Posts
mine was horrible in my '01 with the 3650 trans... then i had my gears installed and asked him to check it out and it's gone... don't know what was done, don't care really... i just know it used to be bad and the guy fixed it :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the same problem on my 2002. Your best bet is to have some-one that you trust and can work with adjust your backlash to tighter tolerances when you do your gear swap.

The factory can be sloppy at times.:mad: and there is not much the dealers will do, if anything.:mad: :mad:

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
mine does the samething in second, I thought it was just me because I had my second and forth synchros replaced. Mine also makes the sound when I go over speed bumps in second, not shifting down into 1st, anyone else experience that????

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mine making a thumping noise in the rear when I am going from 1-2 and vice-versa under heavy traffic. To be honest, it's quite noticeable at those speeds but I've been in noisier cars than my Mustang.

My fear is handing it to the dealer over something silly like a noise, only to get the car back all fudged up and have new problems surface. Sometimes you take them in for something simple and it's like you get someone else's car back... suddenly it's all screwed up and it ain't right.

I'm driving it until the sucker breaks, then I'll walk into the Ford dealer and request for warranty repairs,simple.

I once had the power steering rack replaced on my '91 Mustang... the day I picked it up I noticed the steering was all fudged up... turns out they tried to rip me off by installing the 4-cylinder model's power steering rack. The fools honestly thought I wouldn't notice it on the first turn I took... to their horror, I came right back to them with the car within 5-minutes. I know the turns on my cars from lock-to-lock...

It's stuff like that that makes me weary of taking my car in for repairs when it's not broken, per say.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I read once on another site about a guy who had the exact same symtoms and found it to be nothing more than loose transmission mount bolts. He retorqued them and cured the problem.:confused:

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have it in my '02. Before and after my gear swap. I'm not worried about it.

Jeff

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 01 GT was missing a bolt from the transmission mount from the factory. I was expeirencing a thumping sound while going over small bumps in 2nd and when coming to a stop. Took it to the dealer and they fixed it.

·
Registered
433 Posts
my car does this as well.

My 95 did this with the T-5.

I've got the "take it to the dealer when it breaks" attitude as well.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine's at the dealer right now for this problem (and a few others) so I'll post an update sometime tonight as to what the dealer's response is. I hope it's as easy as a trans bolt missing or loose!

BTW - the service writer this morning was not aware that many newer Fords have DTC AND MILs. I told him I had a DTC and he asked, "How did you pull this code? With a scan tool?" I said it's not an MIL, it's a DTC. He had no clue what I was talking about. . . . aaaarrrhhh!!!! Thank god he's not the one working on my car!!!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Silver02GT said:
I read once on another site about a guy who had the exact same symtoms and found it to be nothing more than loose transmission mount bolts. He retorqued them and cured the problem.:confused:
Yep,
When my gears and d/s were changed there were tranmsission bolts cross threaded and stripped. You can really notice a lot when the car is on a lift as opposed to floor stands. The shop fixed it. Quality is Job 1.

·
Registered
527 Posts
My 2000GT does this sometimes also. WhenI first got the car I took it in after about 3000 miiles, and I got the typical response of they could not reproduce the sound. So, nothing was ever done about it. Over the years I have learned to live with it. Most of the time I can minimize it with my driving style. SLip the clutch a lot, and try to rev the motor up to the proper rpm before a downshift. Push the clutch in when going over speed bumps. Luckily mine is not too bad, but sometimes it still bugs me. I think that the backlash is a combination between the trans and rear end. They both have loose tolerences, and it just makes the situation worse to the point that it becomes noticable.

If anyone every figures out a viable solution to this problem, minus replacing everything, be sure to let us know.

·
Registered
866 Posts
2xx2BLKGT said:
I have the same problem on my 2002. Your best bet is to have some-one that you trust and can work with adjust your backlash to tighter tolerances when you do your gear swap.
Just be careful not to get them too tight. The shop I went to have my gears changed said they get a lot of vehicles from the dealer whose differential failed because they were too tight from the factory. Apparently, the factory is not very careful, setting some too loose and others too tight.

My new gears have just a bit of driveline lash that I can feel when backing or making 3-point turns, but not enough to feel it when driving.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The problem is with the tranny. My rearend has been setup for a while with no problems. When I exploded the stock 3650 and they replaced it with another one I picked up/developed the driveline lash problem you describe. I think in this case it's just general lack of quality in the trannies. Ford seems to consider it ok and wants to blame it on my suspension. Funny how the original tranny didn't exibit that problem and the rearend was never touched during the tranny swap.

It's hit or miss if you get a good one. You could have Ford replace the one you have and still have the problem with you. Short of going with a quality aftermarket tranny your just going to have to live with the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It definitely can be caused by the transmission.

I had the infamous "slap" and changing the rear gears, differential, and driveshaft didn't change it at all.

The dealer rebuilt my T-45 the first time and it was still there. The second time they rebuilt the T-45, they put in a new countershaft. Problem completely gone!

As others have said, seems to be luck of the draw on which tranny you get.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I've had this on quite a few stickshift cars in my life. I thought this was normal! That's why I never worried aboot it.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 22 Posts