Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys running in the rear that gets that good lowered stance but works well at the track without spending over $500? I hate that my car sits to high. right now im just running 4 cyl rears. Do the bolt in coil overs work well?

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
I have over $500 in my rear suspension. But it is all teamz parts. Best money I ever spent.

·
Registered
541 Posts
cut one coil from a set of v-8 rear coils should put you where you want to be.

·
Registered
644 Posts

the video explains the springs about 3.5 minutes in!

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Does it lower the car?
My car is lowered. I cut 1.5 60' times on a crappy track. I have stock gt springs with 1 coil cut off. Teamz double adjustable lowers, conventional double adjustable uppers, teamz anti roll bar and strange 10 way shocks. I have installed the upper relocation upper control arm set up that teamz sells a bunch of times and it just plain works! I will be switching to it soon. The cost is more than the $500 you mentioned, but the parts work. I bought each part individually as money allowed.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
get some stock V8 springs for sure, they will lower it some
only suspension I have is V8 springs, southside lowers, and comp engineering shocks
there are better products, but I have maybe $100 in this(all used of course)

·
Registered
472 Posts
My car is lowered. I cut 1.5 60' times on a crappy track. I have stock gt springs with 1 coil cut off. Teamz double adjustable lowers, conventional double adjustable uppers, teamz anti roll bar and strange 10 way shocks. I have installed the upper relocation upper control arm set up that teamz sells a bunch of times and it just plain works! I will be switching to it soon. The cost is more than the $500 you mentioned, but the parts work. I bought each part individually as money allowed.
Since I just got the team z relocated uppers and you have installed them a couple times, what are you doing with the adjustments? Are you installing them full in and then adjusting later or are you measuring everything when you install. Was just curious since I only have one weekend to do the install and don't have time to plot the suspension lines and anti squat etc.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
With the relocated uppers your only change is setting the pinion angle. To change the suspension geometry you have to cut your springs. I used to cut a little and plot the suspension and then cut a little and plot the suspension. Now I just listen to Dave and cut 1 coil off and it's usually right on.

Since you only have 1 weekend to do your install have a small grinder handy. Sometimes the casting marks on the rear end where the bushings are removed is a little nasty an needs to be ground down for the relocation plates to fit. I also use the maximum motorsports rear end bushing removale tool. Other wise use a 3/8 drill bit and let it walk around the rubber. Then the rubber can be pried out. Use a cold chisel to knock the bushing outer sleeve in on it's self and then hammer it out. The maximum motorsports tool is much faster though.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Another vote for regular GT springs and cutting a coil off. I actually took 1 1/4 off mine but because I run a 28" DR and I didn't want the rake. Either way I've pulled mid 1.3's on the jug so it works for me.

Just find a friend around you town that has a set for a few bucks and cut them. :cool:

·
Registered
785 Posts
Im on lowering springs now and hate them, Im putting in a set of stock v8 springs before it goes to the track. Plus i have a hard time fitting my 26in mt drags without a little rub, and iv took a hammer to the inside fender wells an used a fender roller. Best bet is to use stock springs and cut what you have too..

·
Registered
111 Posts
Using a 275/60 Drag Radial how much clearance works the best height wise.

Or how high does the car sit .. Meaning height from ground to lip on quarter panel.

can having the car sit too low have an issue? I know too high looks like crap.. But is it where the tire is visible under normal stance?

·
Registered
582 Posts
here is my rear suspension

front is D&D tubular k member and a arms, strange coil overs

rear is team z relocated uppers, team z double adj. lowers with sway bar. after market stock location sway bar, stock springs 1 coil cut out. strange adj. shocks in the rear. 275/50/17 M&H best of 1.33 60 foot on 28x10.5x15 slicks but with M&H drag radials runs a consist 1.44-1.48

·
Registered
644 Posts
here is my rear suspension

front is D&D tubular k member and a arms, strange coil overs

rear is team z relocated uppers, team z double adj. lowers with sway bar. after market stock location sway bar, stock springs 1 coil cut out. strange adj. shocks in the rear. 275/50/17 M&H best of 1.33 60 foot on 28x10.5x15 slicks but with M&H drag radials runs a consist 1.44-1.48

That's a beautiful car!!! I wish I had one like that for a daily driver!

·
Registered
582 Posts
That's a beautiful car!!! I wish I had one like that for a daily driver!
thanks. it was a crappy cell phone pick even so it didnt turn out that good. im redoing the motor and turbo kit again. hoping to be faster in 2012! going from twin turbo to 78mm.

·
Registered
57 Posts
What am I missing here? I've got BMR Lowers and Adjustable Uppers, Stock V8 Springs (not cut) and Lakewood Drag Shocks with 275/60x15 MT DRs and the fender lips rolled and The tires BARELY fit in the wheel well..... So I'm confused how y'all are cutting a coil off the springs and not rubbing the crap outta your tires?? Thanks for any help/info.

--Ryan

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
What am I missing here? I've got BMR Lowers and Adjustable Uppers, Stock V8 Springs (not cut) and Lakewood Drag Shocks with 275/60x15 MT DRs and the fender lips rolled and The tires BARELY fit in the wheel well..... So I'm confused how y'all are cutting a coil off the springs and not rubbing the crap outta your tires?? Thanks for any help/info.

--Ryan
every car is a little different. what rims and backspacing are you running?
i also run a 275/60 MT with a weld 15x8. I had to do alot of BFHin on the inside but havent had any issues with the rolled fenders. a friend runs a 28x10.5 MT slick and only had to roll the fenders. both are 4 cylinder convos, not sure that matters tho, maybe they werent abused ALL their life. lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
every car is a little different. what rims and backspacing are you running?
i also run a 275/60 MT with a weld 15x8. I had to do alot of BFHin on the inside but havent had any issues with the rolled fenders. a friend runs a 28x10.5 MT slick and only had to roll the fenders. both are 4 cylinder convos, not sure that matters tho, maybe they werent abused ALL their life. lol
I'm running a 15x8 Greg Weld wheel with standard backspacing (4.5 I think). My car is a 4cylinder convert also. I haven't done any beating to the inner fender yet though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You don't by chance have a picture of what all you did to your fenders do ya? Just curious to see what it takes.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts