Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys racing season is fast approaching and I'm kinda of worried with my current setup!
I have a 94 GT 335WHP/330wtq on a mustang dyno. Last year I was running 28x10 MT ET streets through my stock T5 and stock rear end with 3.73 gears My best was 12.60 ish but with soft launches @ 3500 rpm.
This year I traded my ET Street for MT 26x8.5 slicks. This is what I'm worried about will my stock T5 and stock 8.8 28 splines handle real slicks?
Do I have to go to 31 spline in the rear?

Thanks Marc

·
Registered
962 Posts
I agree warm weather soon I would expect that T-5 will give out first and the 28 spline axles will be good. I changed from M&H street slicks to Mickey radial street slicks

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would agree with you on the t5 it already pops out of gear from 3 to 2 I have to double clutch it for it to stay in gear.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I broke an axle on m&h"s with my old setup and less hp's than you have. I went with an eaton posi and 31 spline axles..

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
The 28 spline axles are weak as heck. So are the spur gears that drive the axles.

When that stuff lets go, you will get metal in the grease. That often will tear up the ring and pinion.

First thing I would worry about and change are the axles and differential.

Reactions: noponi2

·
Registered
485 Posts
I run 26x10 slicks on mine with stock t-5 and stock axles I'm not sure on how much power I have but it ran 12.20 last year. But I've never had an axle problem or really a trans problem either but you will bust 3rd gear every once in a while.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Slicks are easier on parts than radials (assuming the radials hook up) because of the more flexible side wall
+1, I ran a 3-4 seasons with my stock 28 spline axles with drag slicks and they were fine -even with 1.50 60' times, and 5k drop clutch launches. I eventually switched to Moser 31 spline just b/c everyone said that they'll break and I chickened out, but they never did.

·
Registered
532 Posts
+1, I ran a 3-4 seasons with my stock 28 spline axles with drag slicks and they were fine -even with 1.50 60' times, and 5k drop clutch launches. I eventually switched to Moser 31 spline just b/c everyone said that they'll break and I chickened out, but they never did.
Me too. 4 seasons on Yukon 28 spline axles and slicks, launching at 5k+ with 1.50 60's. Switched to 31 spline and those 28s live on in a friends car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts