Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what it might be like to drag race with 4 or 5 lanes. Anybody ever hear of a track set up that way?

Guessing it would need a barrier between lanes which might take out some of the fun for drivers, but it would still be great to watch and a LOT more runs would be gotten in.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
the new track being built in concord,NC is 4 lanes wide...but only run 2 lanes. I have seen some old pictures from the 50's/early 60's from Byron,IL of them running 4 wide with slingshot front engine dragsters and altereds...nuts.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
When my father raced back in the 60's at National Speedway on Long Island they used to have 4 lanes.

·
Administrator
53,617 Posts
the new track being built in concord,NC is 4 lanes wide...but only run 2 lanes. I have seen some old pictures from the 50's/early 60's from Byron,IL of them running 4 wide with slingshot front engine dragsters and altereds...nuts.
Byron did that? We used to do that at GLD in the 50's and there's lots of video and pix. Never knew Byron also ran 4-across...

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think it is smart to have four lanes. That way, if one gets oiled down, you can run on the other pair while it is cleaned up and not delay the action. Great idea for spectators. I imagine competitors won't like having to learn two sets of lanes, but will ultimately see it as a net win once they realize it means more events completed on schedule.

·
Registered
133 Posts
well if you put it that way then yes it sounds much better
I agree that having four cars running at once would be weird. It would double the capacity on test-n-tune nights. Could you imagine a four way bracket race with each car on a different dial in?! That would be a trip to see.

I just think the real value is having a Plan B available. You could put a cover over it like they do baseball fields when it rains so that the runs could start up sooner after the rain ends. Run one pair right up until it rains with other pair covered, then as soon as the rain is done, you have a dry strip.

I think it would be great because it will minimize downtime IF someone uses it properly.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I'm gonna make a 5 lane track just to one up everyone.

no, 6 lanes see, it's gotta be 6 lanes, 5 lanes just isn't enough

(why does the thought of multiple lane drag racing make me thing of turning corners and jumping bridges in colorful riceburners................?)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Sounds like an accident waiting to happen. But it would be cool until it did!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Sounds like an accident waiting to happen. But it would be cool until it did!
Having more lanes doesn't change the chances of a car losing control making a pass although I guess it could make for a bigger wreck.
As crowded as the tracks are these days it would be nice to have more lanes to get more runs in.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts