Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing quite a bit of research (using the search button, too) around here as I'm new to the Mustang world. Coming from the F-body camp it's like learning a new language lol. My Camaro had mild suspension work and was a great street car that saw on-and-off HPDE events.
I picked up a no-option '92 SSP Notchback and want to ditch the current drag setup for a more Auto-X friendly combo.
I now have a better understanding of the Fox and camber, coilovers, different control arms, panhard, K-member etc. My question is, ultimately if there aren't too many downsides to a TA I'd like to aim in that direction. Other than a few people complaining about more cabin noise and a few others bending them at the strip are there any other problems? A few people have told me "you'll break stuff, keep the 4-link," but give no reason.

The car will be a once-a-week street car and see HPDE and AutoX stuff at least once a month. Probably see the strip and handful of times as well.

Thanks all!

Nice to meet you!

·
Super Moderator
27,653 Posts
Remember who the short-bus riders are who told you to stick with the 4-link because you'll break stuff with the torque arm, and keep your distance, they're draining the intelligence out of the immediate area.

Downsides to the torque arm include a lot of weight, mostly unsprung, and some potential exhaust clearance issues to resolve. They also make it a little harder to do driveshaft and exhaust work, and with the wrong setup or technique they can wheelhop under braking. The setup is sensitive to pinion angle, and of course it requires a lateral location device like a panhard bar or watts link.

None of these alone or in combination outweighs the benefits, IMHO.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I don't have a TA but I think that it is a very good and time tested solution. The only real downside that I could think of is that if you are looking to develop a competitive car in Solo2 for Street Prepared or even Street Modified, the common Torque Arm setups from Griggs and MM aren't SCCA legal. Torque arms themselves are legal but the cannot be attached to the car using a cross member that attaches to the sub frame connectors.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the responses, I had done quite a bit of searching and I was pretty sure there weren't many downsides to a TA. As for breaking stuff, the only area where I could even imagine there would be higher loads on the chassis would be the forward pivot that attaches to the cross-member brace/subframe connectors.

Thanks again, I think a TA is where I'll eventually end-up. As soon as the wrenches start flying I'll be sure to document the build in here.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't have a TA but I think that it is a very good and time tested solution. The only real downside that I could think of is that if you are looking to develop a competitive car in Solo2 for Street Prepared or even Street Modified, the common Torque Arm setups from Griggs and MM aren't SCCA legal. Torque arms themselves are legal but the cannot be attached to the car using a cross member that attaches to the sub frame connectors.
The Roush Bondurant cars may have the solution for that. Instead of tieing to the subframe connectors, the cross member attaches to the frame where the rocker panels bolt to. I'm not sure how the tech inspectors would treat that, but it's something to think about since that rail is not really part of the subframe. Either way, that silly rule needs to go away.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
FWIW, i've been drag racing mine on ET Drags for some time and haven't had an issue. It's a nitrous car so it really takes the full hit off the line.

I think you'll be OK.

·
Registered
319 Posts
FWIW, i've been drag racing mine on ET Drags for some time and haven't had an issue. It's a nitrous car so it really takes the full hit off the line.

I think you'll be OK.
Do you daily drive your car? how much traction improvement did you see? I am thinking about this system. Any idea on how much weight it adds?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
While I don't daily drive my car, it is by all means capable. I just choose to drive my Explorer for the comfort and convenience of having another vehicle to drive when working on the Mustang. Plus, I like a 4x4 ;) I drive the car 2+ hours one way to autocross and 2+ back home. It rides great(for 30 and 35 series stiff walled tires) and still gets 22+mpg.

The corner exit traction was much improved and it seems to cover up the "####ty 5spd drag racer" skill I have. The improvement was certainly noticeable, I can't really compare 60ft times equally between no arm and with arm as I ran different tires before the arm.

As for weight, I have no clue. I'm sure MM or a search here could give you more accurate numbers than my guess.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'd say the benefits far, far outweigh any downsides, given what we are working with. The only thing that I've ever heard as a complaint was increase in throttle on push, but that has been in cars where the front end wasn't modified to keep pace with the rear...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts