Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting a 8 point roll bar in my 87 coupe. Think I'm buying it from s&w racing. Was looking at the swing out. I believe they are still 10 sec legal as far as NHRA rules go. If not correct me if I'm wrong. The Poll I would like to ask is to buy the standard type or the Clevis style. I think the Clevis style would look a lot cleaner and easier to remove. Please give me some input.

Here is the pic from S&W for the standard ones 8 Point Roll Bars, 8-POINT EWS ROLL BAR PACKAGE Race Car Dragster Chassis, Roll bars, Cages, Suspensions, Parts

Here is a pic for the clevis style, scroll down a little Home Page

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
Door bars are a MUST have if you plan on spending a significant amount of time street driving and in and out alot. I would prolly go with the clevis mounts...

·
Registered
401 Posts
My chassis Guy who builds tube chassis for a living strongly discouraged me from a removable swing out bar. He went over all the chassis rigidity issues with them and what if you hit the wall at 150 MPH. I decided to go with a STD bar and install an x bar on the doors.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
My chassis Guy who builds tube chassis for a living strongly discouraged me from a removable swing out bar. He went over all the chassis rigidity issues with them and what if you hit the wall at 150 MPH. I decided to go with a STD bar and install an x bar on the doors.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk
How often are 150mp track cars daily street driven? That like comparies a top fuel rail car to a Real Street car...Just doesn't compare.

Most people who run a cage in a street car will trap less than 130mph in full tilt. And the majority of wreck happen within the first 330-660' and that means the speed will be much less than 100mph.

And if you do wreck at the big end of the track, if your going fast enough even a 25.5 car will not save you, more than likely it will be the thing that kills you from not allowing you to get out of the burning car if your even still awake.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Well I should also add I personally am looking at running 8s next year, so kepting the frame or unibody straight and me safe was part of that talk about swing outs.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

·
Registered
752 Posts
swing outs are well worth it. take them out on the street for ease of getting in and out. pop them in on the weekend for the track. 8.50 cert

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
I'd highly recommend removeable door bars if you are daily driving it. I leave them out except for when I go too the track.... I'd also vote for the clevis style latch mechanism setup. The tech's out here give me a hard time running my MaxMotorsports cage with the "tabs" w\pin setup.... They still let me run; but it's not worth the hassle IMHO....

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Door bars are a MUST have if you plan on spending a significant amount of time street driving and in and out alot. I would prolly go with the clevis mounts...
I disagree with this, i drive my car alot and its not a big deal getting in and out. Its all about the way the bars are routed. That being said, a friend of mine has an 8 pt, and his bars are way too high up, and it sucks to get in and out of

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
I disagree with this, i drive my car alot and its not a big deal getting in and out. Its all about the way the bars are routed.
x2

as far as swing outs... i would rather deal with some of the bs as far as getting in and out and never have to even think about the fact that if the s**t hits the fan my life will be in the hands of some bs pins holding the swingouts. if those things go (and yes i realize the chances are slim), you are f**ked!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts