Ford Mustang Forums banner

Doing my research for my LS swap.

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  racin lsc 
#1 ·
I've done more than a few SBF's and there is simply no ignoring the LS platform. Is there a listing somewhere of what engines come with what tranny's? I've read the 4l60e's are a bit fragile when modded and beat on but they seem to the standard truck tranny. Lq9/4l80e even with a stock converter and a small cam I'm pretty sure would go 11's fully swapped for less than $3k including headers and swap parts. LS3/T56 is the dream and worth the 6-7k you pay out of a wrecked camaro for what you get but the lq4's and 9's are so cheap. I just want to do the whole swap engine/trans/harness/pedal(if needed) to get it on the road.

All information welcome.

Thanks
Brent

#3 ·
I've been researching this as a bit of a curiosity but the more I read the more I start to think a LSx swap might be more economical than a modular build with better returns. Just don't know where everyone is finding these LQ4s for like $500 with lower miles. Antying I see around here with lower miles is like $1500+

Another popular engine seems to be the L33 5.3L that came in 05-07 extended cab silverado/sierra 1500s. It is basically a "baby" LS6. Same 243/799 heads as the LS6 minus the sodium valves and an aluminum block with 9.9:1 compression. From everything I've read on LS1tech 350-380 to the wheels is attainable with all stock GM parts but if weight isn't an issue it seems the LQ4/9 is better I guess.

Also if you have to worry about OBDII tests for whatever reason you have to make sure you are using a tuner that can turn off all DTCs and re-write your VIN onto the GM ECU. EFI Live can do it but I don't think HPTUNERS can. If this isn't an issue then dun worry about it.

There is a lot of info on ls1tech, there is a swap forum there too with everything from Mustangs to BMWs to RX7s to Porsches. Seems like a 5.3 or 6.0 truck motor is the most common.

#5 ·
Just get a good set of heads and cam and I think anyone of the LS based motors will get you there. 8 years ago my 98 LS1 Mustang, cam only (small cam to todays standard) ran 11:80's on stock suspension and a 4L60E with leaving it in drive and 235/60 Dr's.

Now you are right about trying to get it all together, saves you a lot of time and aggravation on trying to find all the parts seperate.
good luck you will be amazed

#7 ·
Yeah but availability and budget some come with better heads than others etc... I'd still love to find a L33 or a LQ9 around here that isn't $1500 but it looks like the word is out on even the LQ4 motors or anything LS based really. I keep seeing these threads where ppl say they got a LQ4/Trans combo for $1k but that's not NJ pricing or maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

#8 ·
Thanks guys. So what I'm going to buy is an LS?/4L??(auto) and put it all in assembled at the same time. The L33 is awfully attractive but I can't get past the 6.0/l92 combo's and how they run on the street. If I have to horse with front accessories I wouldn't be surprised, but what I'm trying to find out is what is the best tranny in the trucks and what did they come in. Cause I'd much rather have the good transmission and be a little down on power because no matter what I choose engine wise it's going to fly. t56 is just too expensive but that is what I want.

We'll probably do the 4l60e or 80e and see how we like it.

I'm about 99% certain we'll buy a wrecked truck and take everything we need off of it. ECU, harness, sensors, everything. I know exactly how the nickel and dime game plays out and I want to avoid it initially. Probably going to run the ol 5.0 HO for another year and collect parts. Can't wait!

#9 ·
If you go on ls1tech.com and gander in the hybrid section there is a sticky that has all the LSx motors and what they came in. The most budget 6.0L seems to be the LQ4/4l60e combo. Apparently the 60 can be beefed up with a few "tricks" to get it to hold some decent power for cheap but I have not dug too much into that.

#10 ·
thats what I have now is a 6.0 alum blk, LS3 heads and LS3 intake. Heads flow almost 350 and should make about 480-520 hp range and still be very streetable

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.