Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys need your help. I got the car in 5th gear w/ ebrake and cannot get the crank bolt off. I've put grease on it and it won't budge, even with an impact wrench. Help please, Thanks,R..

·
Registered
951 Posts
That's a serious comment about the impact wrench. You should have no problems getting that thing off with one. I broke my buddies loose off his '01 vert when we put the pullies on with a ratchet and an 18" long pice of black steel pipe as a breaker bar. Took a lot of effort and about 20 min but it came off.

Should it be in 5th or reverse? I don't remember which.

Good luck.

·
Registered
560 Posts
yes i was very serious I had an impact that didn't have enough torque so it would never break bolts like that. Tried an impact with more torque and whallah!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
They speak the truth, Just went though this the other day, Needed 150lbs of air with a reall good impact wrench. 120lbs was not enough. Also I had issues getting my crank pulley back on I had to use a thin 3/8 inch washer with the crank bolt got it started and but the stock washer on and finished it.

Blake

·
Registered
951 Posts
I have a feeling stroked or blown's parents hear the explanation, "I just wanted to see what would happen if I ....." too many times to count. :)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Should it be in 5th or reverse? I don't remember which
Ooh, no no. Don't put it in reverse. Reverse typically has the steepest gear ratio of all the gears in a manual transmission (in the t45 it ties with first gear for this distinction). 5th gear is what you want, you'll never generate enough torque to get the car rolling past 5th gear and the e-brake.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
BMS said:
I have a feeling stroked or blown's parents hear the explanation, "I just wanted to see what would happen if I ....." too many times to count. :)
considering that i am 31 and havent lived at home since i was 16, you should have used the past tense in that sentence! i just try to use my brain instead of my back whenever i can! i guess thats why i am going to medical school to be a doctor! minimal amount of physical labor....and you get paid well to boot! call it lazy, call it clever...it gets the job done.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I actually did mean to use the past tense in there. I know there are very few on here that are lucky enough to be mustang owners and young enough to have to explain themselves to their parents.

I thought the idea was great.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Heh although we did not agree on the SVO blower topic, I'm going to have to go along with Stroked on this one, if all else failes the pry bar and kicking the starter will pretty much always work...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts