Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any problems (or lack there-of) when they removed the dogbone weight on the differential case?

Lon

·
Registered
77 Posts
mine is out and no problems.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i'm not sure what the dogbone is, is it the little plate that is screwed on the underside of the differential?? I'm trying to remember what the bottom of the car looked like, but I'm not sure. thanks jerad

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's the weight on the front-bottom of the differential housing, it kind of wraps around the bottom half on the driveshaft side. Has anyone kept their stock ratio and removed it? I've got gears, but it may be a month or so before I can get them in the car, since I want to do it myself and have to wait to get the dial indicator from a friend.

Lon

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
The dogbone is not there for the stock gears. It is there to dampen a critical drive line harmonic. If you change your gears your drive line will still experience the same harmonic at a lower speed. I had a really bad drive line vibe when I took mine off when I put gears in. The aluminium drive shaft did not help any, putting the dogbone back on got rid of my serious vibe issue. I know not everybody gets bad vibes but I have had them. I cant remember the link to a tech sight explaning this issue but I have given you the basic reason why the dogbone is there.

Dwayne

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bad enough that I would notice it over an exhaust that vibrates the car at basically all rpms? :evil: Guess I'll just have to try it lol

Lon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts