Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a low speed impact with tire wall at about 15 mph. Snapped inner tie rod, bent outer tie rod spherical end and taper bolt. Upon removal the location of the inner tie rod attachment looks unusual to me. Can anyone comment from experience if this is correct?

Thank you

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
FUBAR paperweight.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any opinion on OEM refurbished units vs. the AGR racks for replacement?

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
I've seen too problem stories about AGM to trust them, on the other hand, most remanned racks are a crap shoot where you have no idea what steering feel you're going to get out of them. Best bet IMO is to look for a used, un-rebuilt 03/04 Cobra rack and have it rebuilt locally if need be. Short of that, your best bet in the reman world is the specific part number Cardone 22-2000 which should come with the correct Cobra internals IF the parts house goes to the trouble of getting it, instead of substituting any old SN95 rack because "it'll fit".

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. I will look around a bit before picking up a Cobra reman unit. I have about 4 months of winter weather to wait out

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maximum Motorsports. Just ordered the torque arm along with replacement bumpsteer kit.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Just FYI as a public service announcement, Rockauto has Cardone remanufactured racks by the specific part numbers now. They show them as SPR-ZM and SPR-ZK in the catalog so it appears that they have caught on to the situation with these racks and started catering to the market. I ordered one of the SPR-ZM units yesterday and it was $118 plus core charge and $23 to ship. A used SPR-ZK from LKQ is about $80 plus $50 shipping and they currently show no SPR-ZM units on their site. I figure for that price it is a good gamble to try the Cardone, if it sucks I will have it torn apart locally and redone right or just throw it in the trash and try another.

·
Premium Member
3,114 Posts

·
Registered
8,413 Posts
Just FYI as a public service announcement, Rockauto has Cardone remanufactured racks by the specific part numbers now. They show them as SPR-ZM and SPR-ZK in the catalog so it appears that they have caught on to the situation with these racks and started catering to the market. I ordered one of the SPR-ZM units yesterday and it was $118 plus core charge and $23 to ship.
I see $118 plus $125 core charge. Are you just sending the fox rack back as a core?

-------

Last winter i did buy a Cardone 22-2000 and it did come with a SPR-ZM housing, but no idea what internals were in it. Hopefully the Cobra spec, but either way it felt worlds better than my original fox rack.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I see $118 plus $125 core charge. Are you just sending the fox rack back as a core?

-------

Last winter i did buy a Cardone 22-2000 and it did come with a SPR-ZM housing, but no idea what internals were in it. Hopefully the Cobra spec, but either way it felt worlds better than my original fox rack.
Mine is a SN95 rack but yes. It is a good core too, that is because from what I understand all of these racks have the same outer housing, just the guts of them are different. The one they sent me had the SPR-ZD housing. Obviously I am giving them some credit by assuming they have the right guts in this rack. I suppose we will see when I plug it in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts