Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is my mph is in line with my HP? I'm thinking it is.

60FT 1.844
1/8 8.718
1/4 13.574
MPH 102.14

This was the first few passes on the AFR165-FTI Cam-Tom Moss ported Performer combo. Details in signature. I'll dyno and weigh it soon but I'll be surprised if it is far from 300HP. 94GT that is lightened 200# if I'm lucky. Last night the cargo was me at 160# and a 210# passenger. I got a dead hook 4K launch with no noticeable bog. All my shifts were very close to 6K (factory tach)on the advice of Ed Curtis for a starting point. The car just rips through the entire RPM range with no noticeable weak spot. Power was not falliing off much at shift. I gained 8mph by adding the cam, intake porting and Tweecer (base tune from Power Adder Solutions), I can't tweecer for myself just yet. Anyway, it was decent pass run for this rookie and I can't help but think losing my passenger would get me a tenth. Would like to get to the 12s of course. I'll work on my tune but I strongly suspect the combo is giving me 95%+ of the HP it is ever going to. Suspension is bone stock but MM subframes in the mail already. So where do I get the next few tenths? Weight reduction? Get a new driver? :D I don't want to raise the launch RPM much more with my fresh T5 and stock axles. Traction is there on a good track now so I don't understand how control arms, drag struts and other suspension mods would make me much faster. I doubt I have 20 passes in my life so constructive critique is certainly welcomed.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I am running 101 mph with a much weaker combo. Sounds like you still have some tuning to do. Do you have a wideband?

Ross
I do have an Innovate wideband. Installed it yesterday and it appeared to calibrate fine. Installed the O2 and it just sits there at a constant reading of 7.7. Ran out of time and had to go to the dragstrip while I could. I intend to open the Innovate CD file today and check the troubleshooting. What AFR should I be looking for at say 60mph Cruise and WOT?

I ran 102mph consistently, so I am liking what I am hearing. It would be great if there were a few more mph in my combo.

I will leave higher rpm when we are little closer to the end of season, but I will be sick if I explode my T5 before I get a few more runs in. My car has been down a good while. Machine shops are ridiculously slow around here.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I was thinking it should be a mid 12 or so. My 95 Cobra went 12.50's at 111 on nittos with 165's e cam and a perf rpm intake,BUT the 1st time I took it to the track it went 13.40's and I was about to throw up after spending all that time and money for 4 tenths.

If you get the tune right it should do alot better and leave your buddy at the starting line.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking it should be a mid 12 or so. My 95 Cobra went 12.50's at 111 on nittos with 165's e cam and a perf rpm intake,BUT the 1st time I took it to the track it went 13.40's and I was about to throw up after spending all that time and money for 4 tenths.

If you get the tune right it should do alot better and leave your buddy at the starting line.
Appreciate the info so far. I've got 300 miles on it and a couple passes. I'm certainly not giving up on the 12s. And I know that nausea you speak of. Last year I threw the AFRs and intake on with stock cam and street tires. All I did was spin the tires harder off the line and it still wouldn't pull after 2nd gear. Got my FatStang deep in the 14s for only 2 grand. Was ready to go buy a stock Fox so I could be fast :crying:

·
Registered
550 Posts
what is your timing at? When making a pass are you sure you have your spout connector plugged in? I only ask because last night i was at the track and i left my spout out on accident. Running 14 degrees of timing made me run 13.2 @ 103 mph. I made a jumper wire to get my timing back and the next pass was 12.40 @ 111 mph. My combo is really close to yours. I think you should have a higher trap speed.

On a side note does anyone have an extra spout connector?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Put a tach in it , factory tach is not very accurate after 4k +/- . I'm finally purchasing a tach , ( a buddy's been bustin my chops for a while) even though it's a digital shift light with playback . :)

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
What tires? What launch rpm? Times aren't that bad considering the weight of a 94GT and additional 200lb passenger. practice/seat time will help. Your gonna have to get passed the "I'm afraid it'll break" mindset to see the full potential of the car. nobody wants breakage, everyone dreds it, but when the stage light comes on you gotta think about ringin that sucker for all it's worth and nothing else.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What tires? What launch rpm? Times aren't that bad considering the weight of a 94GT and additional 200lb passenger. practice/seat time will help. Your gonna have to get passed the "I'm afraid it'll break" mindset to see the full potential of the car. nobody wants breakage, everyone dreds it, but when the stage light comes on you gotta think about ringin that sucker for all it's worth and nothing else.
17" MT drag radials. 4K launch is in my original post. It's dead hooking at that laungh. Ed told me a 6K shift was a good starting point. Seemed prudent to stay with that for my first night at the strip. I just got my wideband working correctly 10 minutes ago. Who knows what my air fuel was when I raced, but I'm guessing lean based on my spark plugs. Seemed stupid to test it for max RPM without knowing my air/fuel, true RPM, oil pressure etc. Just finished installing guages etc. We'll press it harder next week. MM SFCs and a Raptor shift light just arrived today.

·
Registered
138 Posts
you sould b in the mid/low 12s with that combo fairly easy my last car went 12.4 @107 with performers f cam and explorer intake all with stock meter and injectors and stock lower control arms { only because they were rusted in and i was 2 lazy 2 cut them out lol ## so with a bit more tweeking you should be there no problem

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"you should be in the mid/low 12s with that combo fairly easy"

I assume you guys are talking about Fox body times? Hope I am wrong, but I don't think, "low 12s" are going to be come EASY for my SN-95 with my combo. I think I'll need a little suspension, a little more weight reduction. Hoping high 12s are in my near future and I'll work for it from there.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Your car should definitely be quicker, and it will be in time. Just got to get the handle on what is all going on. After all it was only your 1st few passes on a new combo. My car is just about as quick with an AOD, stock long block and bolt-ons.

Give it some time. you'll get it where it should be.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Your car should definitely be quicker, and it will be in time. Just got to get the handle on what is all going on. After all it was only your 1st few passes on a new combo. My car is just about as quick with an AOD, stock long block and bolt-ons.

Give it some time. you'll get it where it should be.
Did I mention I hate everyone with a Foxbody that slaps on an Explorer Intake and a CAI and runs as fast as me. You people suck. Every one of you. It isn't fair!

J/K of course. I took it to the strip, dumped my passenger and ran back to back 13.469 ET. Track was terrible and I didn't hook well but got my mph a bit over 104 now. Thought I ran a terrible bad pass due to tire slip at the line. Shows what I know. Got a dyno APPT for WED because my wideband will go no richer than 15.6 at WOT. Runs 20-22 during idle and street 60 mph cruise. Free air calibrates at 22.0 I need to know if my engine could possibly be that lean and run as well as it seems to on the street. See the 5.0 tech forum if you care to see the details.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I see the "NX nitrous" in your signature. I take it you were not using it on these passes? If not, was the cam designed for nitrous? Your air fuel ratio does sound wacky.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I see the "NX nitrous" in your signature. I take it you were not using it on these passes? If not, was the cam designed for nitrous? Your air fuel ratio does sound wacky.
Oh He#L no, I'm not running any cheater juice with mystery air-fuel ratio. I told Ed I ran 100 shot very occasionally. I wanted a cam designed for NA. It's very similar his old 300HP combos you see posted on the Corral all the time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts