Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for my wifes '01 Marquis, so bear with me. I spotted a complete rear axle assembly at a swap meet out of a Police car. It has 3.55 gears and a traction loc.Our car has a 2.73 open.Can I swap this into the Merc without causing havoc? I was under the impression that the speedo was electronic, but I'm not sure and she's got the car so I can't check it out.
I'm trying to get as much info about this before I spring this on her ."but honey, it's good for driving in the winter" Wink,wink.
Thanks,Paul

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like I would need a chip to make use of the 3.55.Evidently speed cal won't help me because the automatic in the Merc also needs speed sensor input for shift rpms, not just speedo correction. Do I have this right?
I could buy the rear for $200; how much for the chip?Paul

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Paul,
If you do indeed only have one tranny sensor, the OSS then yes I think you are stuck with a chip just like the auto Mustangs. If you do have separate VSS and OSS sensors then an electronic adapter will work. I'm guess you only have one sensor however.

[edit] just checked the CD, from what I see there is only one sensor so I do think you are stuck with the chip. Sorry...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well thanks TriBlkCobra, at least I know there is more to it than originally thought. I wonder if the guy with the rear has the processor from the same car?I'll try to get in touch with him.Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts