Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to do it this afternoon and I have read before that some people were having trouble. Just wanted some opinions to make the install painless. Thanks!

·
Registered
906 Posts
you need a pulley/damper/steering wheel puller. Got mine at sears for $19.

Get some rtv sealant because it is needed.

Clean oil for lubrication of crank pulley.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's easy. Just follow the instructions and you're good. I'd also recommend taking the whole starter over to Autozone (or equivalent) to have them replace the starter pulley for you... Having a friend help you put the belt back on also helps. The tensioner is so strong you'll need a crowbar to hold it in place while a friend makes sure the belt is on all the pulleys correctly...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Starter pulley????

I thought it was the alternator pulley that AutoZone will do? I think I read that people have the hardest time w/ the crankshaft due to a rubber (fill in the blank :confused: ).

·
Registered
906 Posts
that rubber stuff doesn't make anything hard. if it does, pull it off, and put on some rtv sealant.

Its the alternator pulley that needs an air impact wrench to get off and put back on. You need to go to the auto store for that.

·
Registered
200 Posts
cravnpup said:
It's easy. Just follow the instructions and you're good. I'd also recommend taking the whole starter over to Autozone (or equivalent) to have them replace the starter pulley for you... Having a friend help you put the belt back on also helps. The tensioner is so strong you'll need a crowbar to hold it in place while a friend makes sure the belt is on all the pulleys correctly...
Do all of the above and don't forget to have the Autozone people change your blinker fluid and muffler bearings at the same time. It will make the tensioner not as tight. :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts