Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
11,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until this past weekend I had a gen3 in my shopping cart, trying to work up the bravery to hit "purchase".
Yesterday I saw red letters and a yellow bar saying "this part can't be shipped to California".

Does anybody know the backstory?
I know that the coyotes were shipped with no DS cat, just a warning that the buyer had to find a jy one. Was this the problem? Were people showing up to smog referees without a DS cat? Or did they have the cat and the motor failed the sniffer anyway?
Or was the control pack missing an obd port?

Any helpful information is appreciated.

·
11,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recently saw something about California passing a law banning you from working on your own cars at home, wonder if it has something to do with that.
Sacramento County banned "major" work on cars: https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/county-in-california-makes-it-almost-illegal-to-repair-your-car-at-home
I'd call that a huge enforcability issue... do they knock on your door and compel you to open your garage door?
Also, there is no statewide ban on working on one's car.

At any rate, the good folks at LMR were kind enough to respond to my email. It turns out that Ford never qualified their crate coyote with CARB, so no CARB number, no entry into the state.

Yes, this is CARB wanting $10k from FoMoCo the same as ancient warlords would extract tribute from passing caravans. That's life. I wish that Ford would just pay the $.

·
11,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
11,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: Ford will ship a coyote kit to California "for your offroad car". The kit looks like the same as LMR's kit.

They said that they might get a CARB number "next year'.... maybe.
So they will ship a motor to a dealer, not to a person, and it sounds like the dealer has to in$tall it. I hate going to dealers, they always tell you that something is impossibly wrong with your car, but it's your lucky day because they'll give you a big trade in for your current car. My last interaction:
Loud tech guy: "SOMEBODY REPLACED THE SUSPENSION WITH DANGEROUS PARTS. YOU NEED AT LEAST $5000 OF WORK TO MAKE IT SAFE!!!!"
Me: "I'll keep the Maximum Motorsports suspension, thank you. So can you fix the AC or not?"
LTC: "YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND THAT THE AC IS A CLOSED SYSTEM. IF IT DOESN'T WORK IT NEEDS A $2000 RECHARGE. CAN YOU AFFORD THAT?"

I took the car to an AC shop, they were courteous, and they changed a leaky fitting and recharged the system for under $50.

·
11,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can only imagine pulling into a dealer in a foxbody and asking them to install a Coyote. Hilarity would certainly ensue.
:lol::lol:

I wonder if Ford sees a problem in its plan... the plan being to force coyote swaps to be done at a dealership.
... and even then it's still up to us to get the car through a referee and smogged. :curses:

Thanks, Ford, I'll pass

1 - 10 of 10 Posts