Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Lurker
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran into a situation with my last alignment. I thought was going to be able to get more caster on my setup. I ended up with 4.1° Driver, 4.3° Passenger. I wanted to be closer to 5°. The .2 split is fine.

In past alignments, I've been able to run more. The mechanic that did the alignment said it was due to the ball joint. I said when you decrease the distance between the two, you can't run as much caster. He agreed.

Is this right?

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
If you install a ball joint with a longer stud length and keep the ride height of the car constant, then the steering axis is going to become more vertical. A vertical steering axis has zero caster. So this ball joint will decrease the amount of caster, because the ball in it is FURTHER below the ball in the strut mount.

Going from a full to an empty fuel tank can affect the amount of caster by a couple tenths of a degree, depending on the cars rear wheel rate.

·
The Lurker
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding Mr. Hidley.

...And therefore limiting the amount caster I can set? Do I gain more by using the longer stud than more caster though?

·
The Lurker
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mr. Hidley. Now for the dumb question. Is there a point of dimishing returns as far as increased height on the ball joint stud?

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
The only dumb questions are the ones that aren't asked.

Yes, there is a point of diminishing returns, but without knowing quite a bit about the cars suspension, it is difficult to figure out what it is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts