Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yeah, this is what I picked up. There's a very thin layer of steel in the middle, and the coolant ports are different..

·
Vendor
12,105 Posts
Yeah, this is what I picked up. There's a very thin layer of steel in the middle, and the coolant ports are different..

These work well

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
The "R" is 0.090" thick firm composite material, so it seems unlikely to move. I used 1262R with my AFR220's and as big as they are, they still needed trimmed slightly for best alignment, difficult to do with steel core (1262S3 is smaller port too). I see in the above picture the RTV helped cause the sliding of the gasket. If you use RTV, it really doesn't need to be more than a few mils thick light skin. The inexpensive print-o-seal gaskets though? I can't say I've seen ANY instances where they haven't moved/wrinkled a bit over time. I have seen a lot of people warn against using those, I think I'm jumping on the bandwagon - they're just not good enough in our application. I'd use the steel core if I needed a thinner gasket on a smaller head.

Edit: adding this info for informational purposes.
1262R has been superseded to 1262R4. They have the exact same dimensions and material construction.

Fel-Pro
Fel-Pro Answer - May 20, 2019
...and note post below stating the thicknesses offered based on the suffix

1 0.030"
2 0.045"
3 0.060"-0.065"
4 0.090"
5 0.120"

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
The 1262r gasket comes in 030, 045, 060, 090 and 120 thick, not to mention thicker by different companies. The 1262r is 090 thick. They also go by 1262r-1, -2 etc. Just make sure you verify you are buying the thickness you want.
Sorry for the off topic OP.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Getting ready to bolt this thing on.. I always hated having to cut the coolant ports on the regular 1262.. These are much nicer.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
I had those exact issues repeatedly with Fel-pro intake gaskets. I now run Cometics - you can get them in multiple thicknesses and they actually hold up, unlike the Fel Pros. The Cometics were only a few bucks more (definitely less than $10 - more like $7, iirc). I'll never run Fel Pro intake gaskets again.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Eww, yeah man that sux.. How did you get your Gasket off in one piece?!?! Anyways..

I'm confident that the steel cores will be better then the standards. Had I know these were out there, I would have never messed around with a floppy old cardboard Gasket.. They seemed to torque up pretty fast compared to the standard deals which seemed to squish forever..

I just went out to re torqued them about 8 hours latter and maybe 1 or 2 bolts moved a little but they are way solid compared to the standards. Can't wait to finish putting this turd back together but it's supposed to rain the next couple' days so no rush..

I need to pichup some oil and some more coolant. I just drained to oil and evidently all the coolant from Intake flooded right down the rear drainback holes in the valley. I drained the Radiator until no more fluid came up, but I only had the front end up in the air.. The oil was a nice black a green swirl. LOL

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I don't know. What is your engine combo??

Maybe look inside your throttle body and see if the pcv is sucking oil into the intake..

·
Registered
511 Posts
The Cometics are a nice product. That's all I have used for years. Maybe next time that is something for you to consider. I use gasketcinch around all the ports for mine. No RTV. One place you might want to look at if you ever need to locate a set is on Ed Curtiss's web site at FTI. He sell some custom cuts and thicknesses for AFR heads. Their dead on with the AFR ports, and even more so if you have a manifold that has been port matched by him. I have 2 of them I run and his quality and attention to detail is what I consider to be up there with the best.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts