Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys. Let's discuss what we do for a living. Do you like your job? If not, why are you working for her?
I'll start with myself - I am engaged in the promotion of sites and I like it. I want to earn more, but it seems to me that it does not depend on how much you earn. Always want more.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I work for Levi Strauss as the Senior Retail Network Security Engineer and I love it. I get to make decisions that drive retail functionality and enhancements. I also get to travel the world to train the remote install/support teams on how to install and manage my designs. I have been able to travel to Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, Belgium, England, and Canada over the last 2 years. More visits to sites are upcoming. They really take care of their employees, great pay, great benefits, and an incredible work atmosphere. I can't believe how lucky I have been since making the move to LS&Co 7 years ago.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hell yea I like my job! 37 years in law enforcement aviation. I wouldn't have it any other way keeping the guys in the air to catch the bad guys.

·
Vendor
11,908 Posts
I love it. I work for myself, whenever I want. My summer routine consists of dropping off kids at school, then fishing for a few hours, head back home which is where my shop is. Work 3-4 hours, take a nap, eat, work a few more hours. Have some coffee and fish a bit more. We travel alot as my son plays hockey. There is no way a normal job would tolerate me, but I could never work for someone as well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I work for a professional race engine shop. I love my job couldn't ask for anthing cooler. I get to see the some cutting edge technology go from the engineering state to a running test on the dyno then to production and the race track.

We make and manufacture alot of our own parts so most all of it isn't available to the outside world. I spent many years in the Dyno and R&D side. My duties now are I'm one of a handfull of guys that get to assemble the final race day engines.

The dilemma I am faced with here as of late is the fact that our sports is fastly becoming less popular. So here over the next year or two great discussions have been made over down sizing and salary cuts.

At one time the average job paid very well in our sport. After the crash of 08 most of us took a cut in jobs and pay at that time which put us making comparable pay to a "real world job" lol as we call them.

So here I sit loving what I do but with the possibility of having more responsibility and less pay once again, Its getting hard to justify working some of the hours I do and time away from my family for less money than I can make at a standard 8-5 job and have more family time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
my job now as an auto instructor is very fun. i love it. i'm only a little over 4 years away from state retirement. bad thing is... pay sucks here in mississippi...

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
almost 30 years in the repair business...26 of it running the entire business minus the accounting & advertising. I'm worn out, sick of working hate my job on a daily basis, the challenges facing us (as techs) are larger now than they used to be, the responsibility is higher, liability is a real issue now, yet pay hasn't increased proportionally. We're talking powersports, lawn & garden, and compact tractor/construction equipment business. For 27 of those years I had a good boss, good man, great integrity, honest, and Christian. The last 2 we have a new boss (new ownership) and nary a single one of the owners has any consistency in how they do things, other than they like to change stuff at the last minute. I'm tired of it and sad to say that I'm ready to move to something different. Considered self-employment again (have been self-employed in the past as a side gig). Not sure I want to have to deal with the garbage that the government (and everyone else) throws at you again. Rather just retire and do something else for the insurance until I can take full retirement.

If I'd have been smart, I'd have gone into the military in my youth and stayed in; I'd probably be retired by now. My neighbor reminds me of it all the time--a retired helicopter pilot who's been retired for over 25 years (age 71).

·
Registered
13 Posts
About me - I like my job. I'm a programmer. But frankly speaking, the company in which I now work ceased to be pleasant to me. I think I've stopped developing. And that's not good. So I'm looking for another job now. But the authorities do not know about it. I even used the services of one service for writing a resume, so they made a resume for me, here is their site can be useful to someone - https://resumeget.com/resume-writing-services . I am promised that this will speed up the job search process, as resumes are written by professionals. Let's see how it turns out in practice. I was promised that the resume will be ready in three days.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah. Aside from loving cars, i also love innovating them like a pro.From the original design to super cars, electric vehicles, and the autonomous, sans-steering wheel cars of our future. Cars that provides better personal transportation and allowing people to travel greater distances in less time.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Retired Army. 20 years, 15 of which was as a UH-60 Blackhawk pilot. Now I fly Helicopter Air Ambulance (civilian MEDEVAC)
6F087A06-E5B8-4FAE-9EB6-25B038A73CBB.jpeg

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've been involved in the automotive industry one way or another my whole life, I have been a Subaru Technician now for seven years. I used to absolutely love it because I truly enjoyed working on the cars and figuring things out. Lately I have come to the realization that I am wearing down and the enjoyment has faded away. Definitely under paid and taken advantage of, even as a Senior Master; everything is warranty and there are no real diagnostics involved these days.
I went from loving what I do and not caring about money to disliking each day more and chasing hours for more money. Right now honestly, the only thing keeping me where I am is my schedule (three days on, four days off.) I did recently turn down a higher paying salaried job with Subaru corporate because I don't want to have a career in a cubicle....I know that about myself.
Saving up a little more cash, they I may go travel for awhile...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've been involved in the automotive industry one way or another my whole life, I have been a Subaru Technician now for seven years. I used to absolutely love it because I truly enjoyed working on the cars and figuring things out. Lately I have come to the realization that I am wearing down and the enjoyment has faded away. Definitely under paid and taken advantage of, even as a Senior Master; everything is warranty and there are no real diagnostics involved these days.
I went from loving what I do and not caring about money to disliking each day more and chasing hours for more money. Right now honestly, the only thing keeping me where I am is my schedule (three days on, four days off.) I did recently turn down a higher paying salaried job with Subaru corporate because I don't want to have a career in a cubicle....I know that about myself.
Saving up a little more cash, they I may go travel for awhile...
Id have a good diag challenge for you on my 06MY WRX... P0171 and i cant figure it out. Cant find leaks, good FP, MAF is good. Car is lean at idle and runs like s***. Fuel trims are maxed. Im at a loss.

But to input my profession and experience:
I have worked in the automotive world for 5 years now, first as an R&D engineer for a Honda supplier, then as a tooling designer for 2 different firms, and now as a quality engineer for a Honda lighting supplier. I enjoy the investigation (root cause and countermeasure) portion of my current job, but its difficult to hold anyone accountable and actually get things fixed, especially when the suppliers are overseas. The company Ive worked for for the last 3 years is mediocre and Im moving on to work for a company that supplies lighting to the aerospace industry and taking a 50+% raise in the process. Hopefully my next venture is less frustrating.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts