Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know the old trick of cooling down the fuel by making a setup where the fuel goes through a can with fuel lines around the inside diameter of the can and you fill the inside with ice to cool the fuel down...

I am taking a welding class at LSU and am getting ideas of things I could make in my spare time and with access to a MIG machine, a TIG machine, and an Oxy/Acetylene rig........

AND WILL THEY PAST TECH AT THE TRACK

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think the hotter the fuel the more efficient the engine will be. If the fuel comes in colder some of the thermal energy will be wasted heating the fuel up. Also, it will be easier to atomize the fuel as it's being mixed with air, so you would get more complete combustion.
However, you wouldn't want the fuel to be so hot that it vaporizes upstream of the injector.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
That was an old carb racer trick. The idea was to prevent the fuel from boiling in the fuel lines or float bowl and upsetting the mixture or cause a vapor lock condition. It isn't necessary or even advisable in an EFI application. The EFI system keeps the fuel under pressure thereby preventing early vaporization until after injection takes place.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I believe the theory is that by adding cold or cool fuel there is less heat in the intake charge, which leads to a more dense cylinder fill. Yes I know it is the air that needs to be cool, but the cooler fuel will remove heat from the air. Same reason as people cool the intakes with ice.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I think it is a good idea to keep the fuel cool by keeping the lines from getting hot but a cool can wouldn't do much on a fuel line with 40psi I wouldn't think. They say 20 degrees cooler air is worth 10hp and 10 degrees cooler gas is 10hp. I don't think it's that much but it's worth something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts