Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I install my own gears? Use these assumptions:

1. Installation is for a IRS-equipped Cobra
2. Will be assisted by someone who has recently rebuilt a T-5 tranny, and has the tools necessary (hydraulic press, etc).
3. Have a decent shop to do it in.

I guess what I'm asking is, how will a gear install on my car compare to the process of rebuilding a T-5 transmission? I've heard many people say that gears are pretty hard, and a few (who sound pretty knowledgable) say "Don't be afraid, it's not as bad as it sounds."

So far, I've determined that I must use FRPP gears, to avoid having to buy a pinion-depth guage, and that I need to figure out how to make a diff spreader (welding equipment is available on-site, I just need to get a diagram of what needs to be fabricated).

Sounds like there is a Ford shop manual that will help? Where can I pick one up ... dealer, I suppose?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
194 Posts
It is not really about being hard, it is about having the right tools. You need a pumkin splitter to change the gears RIGHT in a 99 Cobra and up. If anyone tells you you can do it with out the splitter they are going to damage the housing. I have not done it myself but I know guys who have and without the tool you will be in for more than just a gear install.. just my .02 good luck though

·
Registered
11 Posts
99cobra said:
It is not really about being hard, it is about having the right tools. You need a pumkin splitter to change the gears RIGHT in a 99 Cobra and up. If anyone tells you you can do it with out the splitter they are going to damage the housing. I have not done it myself but I know guys who have and without the tool you will be in for more than just a gear install.. just my .02 good luck though
What is a pumkin splitter? The cobra Center section or pumpkin is the same 8.8 that is in a GT and has the same procedures except you can remove the entire center section and build it on the bench. I think this is a lot easier to work on once you remove it. The clearance is adjusted just like any other 8.8; with shims. Once the depth is correct reinstall fill it up and bang gears. Topless you should be able to complete the install but pick up a manual or measure the backlash before you remove the old gearset.
The pumkin housing itself is aluminum; be careful not to drop it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I'll definitely try to find a shop manual. I'd like to see what this pumpkin splitter is. I'm sure we can fabricate something suitable.

My '99 only has 13k miles on it -- does that mean I can reuse the bearings? Or are the bearings pretty easy to deal with, and should be replaced anyway? I don't want to get really deep into this money-wise, but I want to do it right.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The IRS housing is different from the GT. It's aluminum, and it presses so tight against the carrier bearings you can't get it out without a housing spreader. The Ford shop manual has a pretty good diagram of one, which is what I used to fabricate my own.

You should be fine re-using your current bearings as long as you're careful not to damage them, and inspect them for any signs of wear.

Brian

·
Registered
806 Posts
what do you need to install gears on a GT car? I have a friend that is very handy with gears, what is required, tools, etc? I am looking at putting in a 4.10 in my car.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Look at those bearings REAL CLOSE. It's real common on the 99's for the bearings to wear. Mine had 23K when I my gears were done and I had to replace two bearings. One was chewed and one was corroded. They are cheap to replace, get new ones, you'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
11 Posts
TxSnakeCharmer said:
Look at those bearings REAL CLOSE. It's real common on the 99's for the bearings to wear. Mine had 23K when I my gears were done and I had to replace two bearings. One was chewed and one was corroded. They are cheap to replace, get new ones, you'll be glad you did.
I have heard this too!!! I need to inspect our 99 GT to make sure they are ok and change the fluid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts