Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a On3 70 mm Turbo setup with oil relation kit. Should I go with a bigger aftermarket oil pump or does anyone think the stock pump will be ok.

The car seems fine so far , I'm just a little concerned as this is my first Turbo build.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
The stock pump is more than fine. Turbo's don't normally like higher oil pressure.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I can vouch that the Ford racing high volume is infinitely better than the melling high volume pump.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I can vouch that the Ford racing high volume is infinitely better than the melling high volume pump.

Sent from my iPhone

Ummmm.....unless ford has changed they're supplier recently, a FRPP high volume oil pump is just a Melling M68 high volume oil pump.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Ummmm.....unless ford has changed they're supplier recently, a FRPP high volume oil pump is just a Melling M68 high volume oil pump.
Correct. Same pump.

A stock pump is all you need, in order to switch to a high volume or a high pressure pump the clearances with the bearings need to be setup properly or else damage could occur.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just speaking off experience. I went from a ford racing to a melling and my oil pressure never reached the psi that my ford racing did. All factors stayed the same. Same oil and auto meter mechanical gauge.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
stay STOCK pressure and volume pump...for various reasons but main is that over time it chews up the Cam gear and Turbos don't like a lot of pressure (as previously stated)...

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Just speaking off experience. I went from a ford racing to a melling and my oil pressure never reached the psi that my ford racing did. All factors stayed the same. Same oil and auto meter mechanical gauge.

Sent from my iPhone

It's the same pump made by the same people man.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts