Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran a new best at the track this weekend , but my open track suspension is wheel hopping pretty bad at the track and I am worried about breaking something.

I am starting to get some driveline vibrations , and am hoping that I haven't damageed a half shaft or something.

Are there any signs that I may have injured a half shaft ?

thanks ,

btw I ran a [email protected] new best on 18in crappy ecstas at that.

Matt

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
what do your driveline vibrations feel like? Are they shakes or are they buzzes (propeller-like noise)?

Shakes could be anything from tires to halfshaft CV joints or anything in between.

A buzz is upstream of the ring gear.

·
Registered
586 Posts
You probably could see stress fractures on the half shafts near the slines but you would have to take the shafts out to see them on the pumkin side.

·
Registered
355 Posts
IMO, unless you take them out periodically and do a visual on them, there really is no other way to tell. They simply break and that's it!

You might as well figure that they will weaken over time and eventually break. Depending on driving habbits and hp of course, they could easily last several years. Launching at the drag strip on sticky tires, banging the gears pretty hard on the streets/track, going through the gears on the open track (especially rapid acceleration when dropping down a gear under full boost), etc. will certainly decrease the longevity.

If you race periodically and your's is a daily driver, do what I do -- carry a spare shaft in the trunk. See trunk mods. Once you've replaced one and have applied anti-sieze lubricant to threaded surfaces of all bolts (especially the axle nut), a shaft change can be done almost as quickly as a spare tire change :D. With the peace of mind of having shaft/tools with you, you don't have to worry about if or when it will break 'cause you can fix it and move on when it does.

570rwhp/466tq on only 10.5 psi boost
Official 1/4 mile: [email protected] 1.81 60' limited only by the IRS and road race suspension
A 10 sec capable car!

A Cobra on the surface, a Viper underneath!

Gauges - zoom in || Exterior - larger view|| -- Engine-zoom in -- ||Front suspension

Other stuff (partial list):
Roll cage
Trunk mods
T-56 R&R guide tube
T-56 R&R input shaft breakage
Spring cleaning

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
lol... I was watching this one to see when you were gonna jump in Coop... The pictures dont do it justice guys, you gotta see that trunk setup in person to really appreciate it!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Hey coop, why don't you take a vacation down to Austin and help me rebuild my spare motor. I wish I could do all my own work. I guess it just comes easy to some folks. I'm learning from a friend that has helped me do quite a few of my suspension mods. How hard is it to change over to a return type fuel system.

·
Registered
355 Posts
TriBlkCobra said:
lol... I was watching this one to see when you were gonna jump in Coop... The pictures dont do it justice guys, you gotta see that trunk setup in person to really appreciate it!
LOL, TriBlk! I've had some emails/PM's asking what was what in the pic, so I decided to mod the trunk mod pic and added some annotations for clarity.

Thanks PC Doctor!

austin TX, you have a spare motor? Man, lucky you. If it is a spare, the best way to learn is to grab some good manuals, request advice from reliable sources and start turning wrenches. Learn as you go! Not sure how long it would take to switch to a return style fuel setup, though, since I still have the returnless style. Other's have done it, though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts