Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DIY, single 62-1, explorer top, stock bottom

I'm more into road racing and auto X but if I'm really bored and want to waste some time and money I'll get to the drag strip this summer and see what she'll do. I don't have much money but I do have a lot of equipment. So I'm going to try and make this as nice as possible by doing most of it myself. It will be raced but I want it to look as tidy as possible.

Parts list includes

BBK headers on the wrong way, chopped and tweaked.
Stainless cross over with flex joint and V bands
Turbonetics 62-1
Turbonetics waste gate
Megasquirt gen I
Lightning injectors
ebay intercooler
more stuff that I don't recall so ask if you want to know.

Got enough stuff together so decided to thrash is out two weeks ahead of world of wheels custom car show in Pittsburgh. Here's the pics.

Staged

Header chop

Intercooler mount

Locating turbo and merge

cross over 2.5" stainless

Starting the cold side. As you can see the intake is on the wrong way.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Very nice. Are you going to leave the intake that way?
Erich

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got a little free time this morning for round two of the build. We left off with most of the fab work on the turbo kit complete so now its time to take everything apart and make it all pretty.

I'm not going for a completely flushed and flat show style engine bay. More of what I think the factory could and should have done. So there are just a few erroneous holes and creases left in place. Not hundreds of holes. Did anyone get an answer why they did that???

The engine got muted as much as possible so the turbo kit contrasted and stood out.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Really nice. Looks so much better with the holes filled. Did you just mig them shut?
It almost seems like everyhole ever needed in the engine bay from 78 was just left there. Keep adding holes over the years.
Erich

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nickle sized and larger got a piece of tin welded in. Smaller ones got one of my little tricks of the trade. I call it MIGTIG. Take your MIG torch as though you where just going to stitch the hole closed with your right hand and a fatty filler rod with you left hand. Apply both judiciously and simultaneously. Holes fill pretty darn quickly with all the extra materiel flowin in.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Wrapped the hot side and them made a radiant heat shield with about a 1/4" air gap out of some stainless 4". Welded some nuts to the top side of the dp and trimmed some flush mount allen heads to secure it.

·
Registered
747 Posts
if you wana make the upper intake stand out insted of a big spray bomb. take a falt block with some 1000 grit sand paper and in about 5 mins go over the fins on the intake. it really makes it look alot better.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I got impatient and bought some stuff. I'm kinda regretting not just making all this crap my self but I got plans for something aluminum and epic under the hood that I'll fab later on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts