Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally heading to Florida and i'm going to be towing my car on a two wheel dolly from Boston, Ma to WPB Florida. I'm told I should disconnect the driveshaft, so I won't damage the transmission. What I need to know is this hard to do? Can someone explain to me how I disconnect the driveshaft and what tools I would need.

Thank you!

·
Registered
535 Posts
SN's should be near the same as Fox's. There are some bolts on the rearend of the driveshaft that should be 12mm. Take them out. On my car you cannot use a socket because of room. After those bolts are out you can slide the drivshaft out. Now before you do all this, the drive shaft is balanced, ensure you note where the weight is on the shaft and mark a corresponding spot where the bolts go, this way when you install the shaft it will not be out of balance. You will want to put a cap on your driveshaft as well, keep the fluid in. A local transmission shop or parts store will have one of those. Good luck with the move.

·
Registered
812 Posts
On my 92 I just put the car in gear and used a 12 point socket, because the bolts are 12 point, 12mm I think to get it off. There are four bolts holding the shaft to the yoke. After it is unbolted from the rear end you just slide it out of the tranny. Just make sure you cover the tailshaft on the tranny so you don't get road debris inside and so you don't lose fluid. Make sure you mark the driveshaft like the other guy said.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
If the car is an automatic, I would disconnect it because somehow, you can burn up the transmission due to the torque converter not being pumped and the insides of the transmission being turned by the rear wheels.

If it's a manual, I'd leave it connected.

If you disconnect it, how are you going to cap the rear of the transmission so all the fluid doesn't run out? Or are you just going to let it run out?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
You could take the front yoke off the drive shaft and some how tie it / wire it in place on the back of the transmission?

·
Registered
154 Posts
You can buy a tail shaft plug. I bought one at an auto parts store to use when removing my transmission. I paid about $4 or $5 for it, and it fit perfect. I had to call a lot of places to find it, most of the people didn't know what I was talking about.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Or you can just change your fluid, it probably needs it by now anyways! :)

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
If you don't put it in the same way it was you increase the chance that it'll vibrate. If it does, just start re-mounting it in 90-degree increments until the vibe dies down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts