Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any try these on a track or autox? How do they compare to the new RE-11s? They are cheaper that's for sure.

Is running a 200 treadwear tire bad news for daily street driving with 7-8 autoxs a year? I have winter tires for when the snow falls.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have them on my 97 GT. I run the car in STX for SCCA autoX and run about a dozen or so events a year. I think they work pretty well. They are definately NOT an R tire. I don't have any comparisions to the new RE-11 and Kumho XS, but many people have rated them equal or better than the RE-01R if that helps. I won my Regions STX class on them last year. Last Sunday I held my own in the wet at Lincoln AirPark against the 88 M3 who finished 3rd at Nationals in Topeka last year.

I have taken them to the track and they did get a little greasy after 15 minutes of abuse. That was OK as I was out of brakes and the car was hot as well. I believe they do handle heat better than the RE-01R does. Again, I have no comparisons to the RE-11 or XS.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Some of us have raved about them if you care to use the search.

·
Registered
543 Posts
There's plenty of discussion about these in sccaforums.com

Also GRM supposedly did a head to head comparison of these new street autox tires. Coming out next month apparently.

·
Registered
311 Posts
They are great!!! I haven't used them on my mustang though. I used them on my bolt on STI and I was very impressed. I have used all the mentioned tires, but the RE-11s and felt they were better. In some cases a lot better. I wish they had more sizes in the 17 inch rim size. Oh this is for OT events.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I think that the data puts them behind the RE-01 which is behind the RE-11 and the XS. Its a great tire though. If I had availability to a set on the cheap I would jump on it.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
My personal data puts them WAY ahead of the RE-01 in every aspect except most recently available costs. The RE11 is going to have to be one hell of a tire to be even better than the Direzza.

·
Registered
780 Posts
245/45 vs 255/40

I wanted to bring this back to life, but not at the risk of beating a dead..... never mind. Need a street/autox and HPDE(very few) tire for a 96 Cobra that found me about a month ago. Car is bone stock. Down the road I'm considering 295/35 Hoosiers on a 17x10. But for now, I may run the first autox events with the Kuhmos' that came with the car, just to get my feet wet again, and then switch to the Star Spec. I was set on the Falken 615's, until I read all the posts with rants and raves about the Dunlops. Is it worth going to the 255 vs the 245 for that last bit of contact patch, or is the tread width advantage negated by the rim width of 8"? The optimum size for the 255 seems to 9", or a minimum of 8.5. I also like the 255 for it's OD, to help lower the stock gear ratio. Does anyone know what the actual tread width is on the 245 vs the 255? I'll never understand why some tire manufacturers, such as Dunlop, don't list a tread width. :idunno: Who knows, after my first event in 12+ years, I may embarrass myself enough and never return..... :shakehead

·
Registered
311 Posts
A 245-40-17 will work fine on a 8 inch wide rim, yes 8.5 might be better, however the tire does not bulge at all on a 8 inch rim. From tread block edge to tread block edge I measure 9 1/8 wide on an 8 inch STI rim.
That would be great if they came out with a 275-40-17

·
Registered
780 Posts
A 245-40-17 will work fine on a 8 inch wide rim
Did you mean 255/40? If so, then I'm sold. If we're talking about the 245/40, Dunlop does list the minimum rim width at 8", as they are 9.8" section width compared to the 245/45 at 9.6". But the 255 has a section width of 10.2". I'm sure the tire will physically fit on an 8" rim, but will it perform as well as a 245/45?

Thanks for the input,

·
Registered
311 Posts
This was on an STI. I did mean 245-40-17. I looked at what worked for other STI guys, most preferred the 40s from a performance standpoint. ( It is also closer to the same diameter as the stock tire. 24.7 to 25 less role over as well) Sum guys go way wider but I would not. I have seen posts of 275s on a 8 inch rim for AX, but I can't imagine that would even be safe.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Stock tire on an 06 STI Stock size on a 225-45-17 on a 8 inch rim) Hope that helps

·
Registered
780 Posts
Stock tire on what?
BLK91GT is referring to a stock tire on a STI, which I believe is a 225/45, so the 245/40 would seem right. But I'm still trying to find out if anyone has tried the 255/40 on a SN95 using the stock 17x8 and if it performs better than the stock 245/45.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts