Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 302 with a SI, carb'd with vic jr heads. I called msd for setup advice on the box. They were less then helpful. Having never owned a programmable box is there anything I should setup first before initial fireup?? As far as i know i fire it up and set my advance with the timing light and it should function with a set degree of advance via my locked out distributor? I have done very litlle research on it and I'm not 100% sure what to set the timing at? 91 octane pump gas here.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I've been messing with a few in nitrous cars. You need an external MAP sensor for boost retard.

Be sure to read the instructions several times. I found them confusing, especially as far as data logging. I called MSD and they were no help at all. As a matter of fact they gave me wrong information.

We set all the initial timing in the MSD to zero when setting base timing. It won't matter if you have a retard programmed in so long as you do not activate the retard, but it would be safer on initial install when setting base timing to just be sure you don't have any timing changes programmed.

I use a signal generator on the cars I work on to test timing and logging. That way I can test things "dry", with the engine off.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Same problem I had with with msd. I made sure everything was non functional so to speak and fired up the car and set my timing. The only thing I set was the start retard and it has worked fine to just fire it up. Now I have to figure out the boost retard part of it. I already have the map sensor plumbed in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts