Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I managed to cause a diff leak by jacking up my car. I need to replace the differential cover and gasket and have a few questions

1. Do I need silicone for the new gasket? If so what kind and do I put it on the housing side or the cover side of the gasket, or both?

2. What should I use for fluid? Do I need to mix something or is there something to buy off the shelf?

3. What is the best way to get the fluid back in the differential. I as thinking a siphon technique???.

4. Anyone know the torquing specs and sequence should be?

Please list any troubles I may run into, looks fairly simple

Thanks for your help in advance!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Before you deem it the diff cover' check the pinion seal located behind the drive shaft mounting flange, it may appear its leaking from the diff cover but it might be trailing from the pinion seal and make it look like its leaking from the diff cover. But lets hope its the diff cover. BTW I use Red-line and it come pre -mixed with the friction modifier...DA Snake boy!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
If it is the diff cover you will need permatex gasket. You will also need gear oil and friction modifier. Although I heard you only need to add the modifier everyother gear changed as long as you don't use brake clean on the gears. You will need a suction pump to add the fluid. Clean the surfaces good with brake clean or it will leak. As for tourqe specs just make it tight

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah it is definitely the diff cover. I can see where I bent the cover, and that is why I have to replace the cover :(

Torque Specs = N/a

Friction Modifier needs to be added unless I get something premixed. Who sells Redline?

I need a suction pump. Can I get this at Autozone etc...

What about the gasket, silicone??? type?? and where do I put the silicone????

·
Registered
402 Posts
1.) Silicone is your gasket on the diff cover...there is no need to buy a cover gasket. Black RTV silicone is a good one to use, but most any silicone will work. Just put a nice bead around the cover and slap it on the diff. Be sure to clean off any old gasket material on both surfaces prior to putting the new silicone on.

2.) You can use the expensive stuff like redline or whatever, but if you'd rather save some cash, any 75-90 gear lube will work. Your local autoparts store will have it. 2 bottles should do you. You will also need a tube of friction modifier. It is only a few bucks...your parts store should have it too...if not, your ford dealer will.

3.) You shouldn't need to do any kind of syphon technique. The gear oil bottles have nipples on them that allow you to squeeze the lube in. If you get a different type of oil without those nippled bottles, then you will need some type of syphon to get the fluid in. I have one that looks like a grease gun but without the pump handle and neck on it. Instead, it has clear flexible hose attached to one end and the pull handle on the other. It was like $10 at autozone. It works great for tranny fluid changes too.

4.) No torque specs, just snug the bolts down evenly...just as you would a wheel.

If it is your pinion seal, you will notice leaking from right under where the driveshaft meets the rear end housing. If it is that leaking, you are better off taking it to a professional.

Good luck!
Mike

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a TON!

I will give it a shot this weekend probably!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I did the same thing and used a trusty rubber hammer to straighten out the dent on the cover. If yours is beyond repair I'm sure you can grab another used cover somewhere dirt cheap.

HTH's

1 - 7 of 7 Posts