Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Differential for 31 spline axels.

I've got a 400 hp, street/track/drag car.

I'm looking at changing to 31 spline axles so I'll need another diff. I've used the search function and found that the Eaton and Trac-Loc are good LSDs that won't blow up at the drag strip. The Eaton is supposedly a stronger unit than the Trac-Loc. That being said, are there any other options I should consider? The reason I'm asking is because I was reading about the Locker type on Eaton's website and from what I understand, lockers actually function better than LSDs. What I don't understand is whether this Eaton or lockers will exibit the back-lash transitions going from accelleration to coast or from going straight into turn as is often described with Detroit lockers. Obviously this could be annoying in a regular street driving scenario.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Might want to search for "Detroit Tru-Trak" if you want a good dual purpose differential. It's my understanding that the T2 or T2R differential is the better buy for autox/open tracking.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I love my Tru-trak. I autox my car, and it was one of the best things I ever did.

Bob Cosby ran one in his modular cobra...

He ran mid 11s....

·
Registered
918 Posts
He was also the Factory Stock national champion.

FWIW I get terrible inside wheel spin with my traction loc and it has almost no end-play on the axles. I have a T2R going in for next year, plus two years worth of rebuild kits will pay for it. My present wheel spin may also be due to some suspension issues since I was on worn out stock dampers and stock springs, so I had less roll stiffness than a good F Stock car (not to be confused with the aforementioned "Factory Stock").

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After a bit of researching, I think I'm going with the Detroit TrueTrac. Now to find the best price...

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
fallstar01 said:
After a bit of researching, I think I'm going with the Detroit TrueTrac. Now to find the best price...

If you don't mind, post your finding's as I am in the market.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am having nothing but problems with my True Trac working correctly. I can blow my away anywhich way I turn.

At first I thought I was unloading a tire so I went throught the whole suspension to figure it out. Got it back together and still am having the same problem.

Im in ESP and have to drive my car like a FS car. DOsnt make it to fun :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts