Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I came across a free kit #555-8103 (79-93) for my 93 coupe, but I'm going to be using a 95 k-member, control arms, & spindles with a 96 Cobra rack. Can I make this kit work? I don't know what the difference is (the length for the rack threads)?
Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
22,792 Posts
79-93 inner tie rods to outer.......imperical threads.

94+ inner to outer........metric threads.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Thanks, guess this kit wont work :crying:
You can probably make the kit work by buying the correct aluminum sleeves that thread onto the tierods. that will let you re-use the rest of the kit IF the rod ends are the right ones. Call Maximum Motorsports. They sold me the sleeves to convert a Griggs Racing bumpsteer kit.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can probably make the kit work by buying the correct aluminum sleeves that thread onto the tierods. that will let you re-use the rest of the kit IF the rod ends are the right ones. Call Maximum Motorsports. They sold me the sleeves to convert a Griggs Racing bumpsteer kit.
Humm, good point, thanks for the info I'll give that a shot.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok well how close are the treads? I can thread the Steeda on pretty far on this rack I have. I got it off a 96 Cobra (or so I was told).
Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Ok well how close are the treads? I can thread the Steeda on pretty far on this rack I have. I got it off a 96 Cobra (or so I was told).
Thoughts?
I think you should be 100% sure of what you have before doing anything else.

The bumpsteer kit's sleeves are aluminum, and not all that strong. trying to thread the sleeves onto a tierod that's "clise" is going to result in a cross-threaded situation and a bunch of chewed-up threads. Not something I want to risk my life on. Having a steering system that works is pretty high on the car's priority list -- right below "not bursting into flame unpredictably."

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK the rack I have is definitely a 94+. I emailed Steeda to see if I can get the sleeves from them. If not I'll call MM.
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
22,792 Posts
you wouldn't have been able to use the 79-93 combo when using 95 stuff.

95 is wider and you would have run out of threads.

94+ has longer inners, and shorter outers, but the two together are wider than the two together from a fox.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts