Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my Dad are building a 1961 f100 with a crown vic suspension swap and a 5.0 out of a 1986 ford LTD. We are wanting to build the engine, but there is not very much aftermarket for a LTD. Just wondering if I can buy parts for a foxbody motor for my LTD motor.

These parts include converting the engine from efi to carborated, I saw a video where a guy took a ford 289 intake and put it on a 5.0 to carb it. Is there a better way to do it? also camming it (possibly a e303 comp cam), long tube headers and some other parts. Hopefully ending with 380-400 hp

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
They're all pretty much the same as far as the short goes. You need to find a dealer you're comfortable with and get all the info you can from him.

Avoid the internet.

·
Premium Member
2,966 Posts
The engine does not know what vehicle it is in. If you are going to a carb set up, you could put the engine in a wheelbarrow for all of the difference it makes.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Make sure it's a roller motor. The factory pistons maybe different? You are going to need heads and / or a power adder to get 400 HP.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Being a non HO it will have the 302 firing order, HO motors have the 351 firing order. The camshaft you choose will determine the firing order. If I remember correctly Ford did use the roller blocks with flat tappet cams around that time. If it doesn't have a roller cam look and see if the lifter valley is drilled for the H bar hold down spider. If it is you should be able to rum a roller in it.

I don't think the non HO motors had forged pistons, something you may want to change during the rebuild.

·
Registered
35,969 Posts
Didn't the 86's come with the E6 heads and, therefore, no valve reliefs in the pistons? If so, that may limit aftermarket head/cam choices without dealing with the valve relief issue.

·
Premium Member
2,966 Posts
Being a non HO it will have the 302 firing order, HO motors have the 351 firing order.
The 351 EFI engines came with both firing orders. There was a HO version of the 351...
But you are correct, the camshaft determines the firing order, regardless of the engine.

·
Registered
327 Posts
The 351 EFI engines came with both firing orders. There was a HO version of the 351...
But you are correct, the camshaft determines the firing order, regardless of the engine.
Sorry but that isn't correct, all 351 Windsors, 351 Cleveland's, 351m and 400m have always had the 13726548 firing order.

Reactions: Bentley

·
Premium Member
2,966 Posts
Sorry but that isn't correct, all 351 Windsors, 351 Cleveland's, 351m and 400m have always had the 13726548 firing order.
Ummm. No. I worked at a Ford Dealership in the late 80's early 90's. I did a lot of engines in Econoline vans. Had a company that had a fleet of them, all 351, and we were installing Ford rebuilt engines in them when they hit 120k+ miles. After doing about 10 of them I had one that would not run right. Turns out it had the HO cam with the different firing order. Instead of just moving the distributor wires around, the company wanted a non HO cam put in the engine so that all of the fleet were the same.
So, yes, they had a non HO 351 and a HO 351.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Everything I've ever read or seen was the standard FO for the 351W was 13726548. If Ford had a fleet customer big enough to build special FO 351W engine's I'd be shocked. But let's say they did. That would be a custom thing and not standard for any other production 351W. There were 351W's and in the mid-80's HO-351W's they had different cams and I think different induction packages. My Father's Ford dealership had a tow truck with the HO-351W. But the firing orders were the same. All regular production 351W's had the 13726548 firing order.

Going back tot his fleet idea. Fleet rucks are built the same as production trucks. I just do not believe Ford would build a small batch of custom 351W engines with a FO not 13726548. The logistics of assembling, transporting, and having them ready to install for a batch of fleet trucks doesn't hold water. Would Ford custom order a small batch of special cams, work them into the mass production of these engines, ship them separately and install them in select trucks/vans just so one fleet customer has spark plug wires in a pattern that matches other vehicles in the fleet? Do really believe that's truly what happened? Would any fleet manager ever tolerate a mechanic that can't figure out the correct firing order of the vehicle he was maintaining? That's pretty basic stuff. If he couldn't handle that he was in the wrong profession.

I don't doubt you saw an oddball, but oddballs do not make the standard.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Ummm. No. I worked at a Ford Dealership in the late 80's early 90's. I did a lot of engines in Econoline vans. Had a company that had a fleet of them, all 351, and we were installing Ford rebuilt engines in them when they hit 120k+ miles. After doing about 10 of them I had one that would not run right. Turns out it had the HO cam with the different firing order. Instead of just moving the distributor wires around, the company wanted a non HO cam put in the engine so that all of the fleet were the same.
So, yes, they had a non HO 351 and a HO 351.
Well I guess we will have to disagree. I worked for Ford from 1985 until I retired, but I don't know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
801 Posts
If you own the "LTD" engine already, it's worth very little to anyone.
Step one - disassemble and determine what exactly you have. Doing this will teach you all the parts and give you time to think about what you need.
Step 2 - make a spreadsheet for current engine and another for planned engine
Step 3 - make a budget, then double it.

·
Premium Member
2,966 Posts
Well I guess we will have to disagree. I worked for Ford from 1985 until I retired, but I don't know what I'm talking about.
I am just relating what I had to deal with. I spent a day trying to figure out why the engine ran on only 4 cylinders. Thought it was a big vacuum leak, thought I messed up the harness, and it turned out it had the 15426378 cam in it. You can say it is not possible. But it happened, make no mistake. When you get a factory re-man long block from Ford, the last thing you would think of was that they built the engine wrong.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Been reading with a lot of interest regarding the firing order. Since the way I read everything, a new perspective on the issue could be that Ford used an incorrect cam in one of the rebuilt motors by accident. I think I read that it was stated that "one" of the engines was different and these were rebuilt engines. Is this possible?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Been reading with a lot of interest regarding the firing order. Since the way I read everything, a new perspective on the issue could be that Ford used an incorrect cam in one of the rebuilt motors by accident. I think I read that it was stated that "one" of the engines was different and these were rebuilt engines. Is this possible?
Ford doesn't rebuild engines, they are rebuilt by "Ford authorized remanufactures" so yes very possible

1 - 19 of 19 Posts