Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Turbo car but it is an Automatic.I was thinking that a manual transmission with a Turbo might not be as fun as an Auto because with an Auto you can put in a better stall converter.Im just speculating because I have never been in a 5 speed Turbo car.Any thoughts about which trans is better?? Also 99.9% of the time my car will be driven on the street.:cool:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I killed my overdrive :[ (AOD) Tranny does not like boost in overdrive. An auto has quicker shifts (don't lose much boost between gears and you'll never miss a gear) Also remember with an auto you can launch off the converter...build some boost off the line.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
5spd can also build boost off the line with a 2 step. with the right driver a 5 spd will go just as fast if not faster. the right driver is few and far between though.

·
Registered
467 Posts
5spd can also build boost off the line with a 2 step. with the right driver a 5 spd will go just as fast if not faster. the right driver is few and far between though.
IMO it takes more than that right driver, also takes the perfect clutch and trans. IMO if you have a regular street style syncronized trans, the car will always be faster with the right automatic.

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
i agree with boosted... i mulled over this decision for a long time with my 98. After it was said and done i really believe a big turbo car needs an automatic. Easier to launch, no boost loss between gears, better boost recovery, etc.

If i ran into the same setup as mine but the guy had a t-56 i woudnt be scard of him at all.

IMO the only thing the manual tranny does better than the auto is make your dyno look pretty

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
5spd can also build boost off the line with a 2 step.
It's not the same actually.

The turbo is going to spool different if the engine
is under load. A torque converter or transbrake actually loads
up the engine rather than just revving it up like a clutch.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
IF you want to go fast... auto
IF you want to have a FUN street car..... manual

I know for a fact IF I were to swap to a auto my track times would be better but IMHO it would NOT be as fun to drive. I have been in both and to me even tho it was "slower" it was way more fun of a "street car"

·
Registered
407 Posts
I had a g-force 5 speed, swapped in the auto...no regrets and still fun to drive on the street.

Never thought I'd say that...lol.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I had a g-force 5 speed, swapped in the auto...no regrets and still fun to drive on the street.

Never thought I'd say that...lol.

Same here. There's no comparison. My car has a fully manual valve body, so its just like shifting the car in a five-speed. The car is actually way MORE fun to drive now and much more consistent at the track with the automatic.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
i agree with boosted... i mulled over this decision for a long time with my 98. After it was said and done i really believe a big turbo car needs an automatic. Easier to launch, no boost loss between gears, better boost recovery, etc.

If i ran into the same setup as mine but the guy had a t-56 i woudnt be scard of him at all.

IMO the only thing the manual tranny does better than the auto is make your dyno look pretty
Are you insinuating that my 1/4 times and trap speed don’t jive?!? :blam:

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
Are you insinuating that my 1/4 times and trap speed don’t jive?!? :blam:

not at all... but i do think with the right setup in an auto you'd be quicker.

and i dont know what turbo's you have, if they are on the small side, the manual doesnt hurt as much. Lag time and boost recovery arent a big concern with small wheels.

and... im not expert, this is just my opinion. Drive what you like

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
not at all... but i do think with the right setup in an auto you'd be quicker.

and i dont know what turbo's you have, if they are on the small side, the manual doesnt hurt as much. Lag time and boost recovery arent a big concern with small wheels.

and... im not expert, this is just my opinion. Drive what you like
Actually, it was I that was insinuating that my ¼ times and trap speed don’t jive….so no worries. ;)

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
yea... honestly i was thinking 128 is a little fast for an 11.6 but i didnt wanna start an arguement LMAO

·
Registered
114 Posts
My car is 99% street driven. I ran a g-force 5 spd for 5000 miles until it snapped on a 3rd gear roll. I switched to a Lentech AOD and have been very happy. Full manual shifting maintains the fun factor for me.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts