Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought that the 87-93 (or more properly, 79-93) Mustangs and the SN95 Mustangs shared a very similar chassis. And yet, both Bilstein and Tokico list different models for each. I think Koni does, too, but Maximum Motorsports sells the 87-93 model as suitable for 87-01.

Here's what I want to know. Why won't the Tokico shocks I just bought for my '98 work on my brother's '90?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
ToplessCobra said:
I thought that the 87-93 (or more properly, 79-93) Mustangs and the SN95 Mustangs shared a very similar chassis. And yet, both Bilstein and Tokico list different models for each. I think Koni does, too, but Maximum Motorsports sells the 87-93 model as suitable for 87-01.

Here's what I want to know. Why won't the Tokico shocks I just bought for my '98 work on my brother's '90?
I believe there are two main differences.
The 94+ shocks are 1" longer and also have a built in bumpstop. Pre 94 stangs had the bumpstop built into the frame and didn't need the shocks to have one.

Ken

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if the 94-up shocks are longer, does that mean they would bottom out sooner if installed on an 87-93? The bump stop sounds like a non-issue to my uneducated mind -- one is good, two is better (or at least, no worse).

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
you are right

ToplessCobra said:
So if the 94-up shocks are longer, does that mean they would bottom out sooner if installed on an 87-93? The bump stop sounds like a non-issue to my uneducated mind -- one is good, two is better (or at least, no worse).
I believe you are right on both accounts. I do think they would bottom out sooner. If you want to know for sure, go to www.maximummotorsports.com and email tech support. They should be able to tell you for sure.

Ken

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I sent an e-mail to Maximum Motorsports, and found out that on the 94 and newer cars, the spindle was lowered by an inch. As a result, struts designed for them have a 1-inch longer body. You could put it on an older Mustang, and it would technically fit, but you'd have one inch less of available travel. That'd be bad.

Conversely, the 87-93 shocks work fine on a lowered SN95.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts