Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you keep your air pump and cats?

I found that my air pump is done. They are $250 and I know that the car will not run right without it. Do any of you still have yours? I really would rather take all of the emissions stuff off. I do not want to put the money into that and put it in other areas. If you removed it. What did you have to do to be able to keep the computer working right for your FI?

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
My air pump is long gone but I ran a catless H-pipe for years. Technically the factory cats need the air pump to function properly, but I used a stock-style H-pipe to pass emissions earlier this year and it worked fine. Not sure how long it would live under normal usage though.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
^^^ I do the same with a Pypes X-pipe and I throw on the catted H-pipe every 2 years to get the car smogged (we have to pass sniffer here in CA, can't remove emissions stuff really :() I've done Solo 2 here with the cats on the car (usually X-pipe is one though), but never any HPDE or RR with the cats.

Related question, is it possible to overheat the cats from sustained high rpm use, as experienced with any type of road racing event?

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
Yes, which is why I specifically chose Magnaflow's Spun Metallic cats when I put some back on my car. They lasted several years and still passed the sniffer test 5 years ago, but this last time they failed and I borrowed a stock H-pipe to pass. I'm 100% confident they lasted a lot longer than more standard types of cats would have.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Spun Metallic vs Ceramic - does it matter as far as this topic goes? I'd like to eventually sell my catted H and use the money to buy some cats and have some flanges welded on my Pypes X-pipe so I can just put the cats in place of the straight pipes and vice versa as needed w/o having to drop the whole exhaust as usual.

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
Yes, the spun metallics are made with a metallic substrate specifically so they'll be more durable than the ceramics.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Whereas the stock setup is 4 cats (I guess a smidge better than 6 I suppose), even though the aftermarket cats do NOT carry a CARB certification do you think they would pass the sniffer just as well as a factory cat? I'm not worried about a tech seeing it for smogging, but just if they are as good as "filtering" exhaust just as well as the Ford ones.

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
I had them on my car for 3 years before I ever had to have it tested, and it did fine. And they still did another 1.5 years later. But another 2 years later at 6.5 years total and 40,000 miles (with probably close to 4000 of those on tracks), they failed. The test with the stock H-pipe showed results similar to when the Metallics were healthy. Grassroots Motorsports tested them a while back too, they weren't as effective as larger/more traditional cats, but they got the job done, at a fraction of the size.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/general-mustang-tech/1647530-im-failing-emissions-have-i-finally-killed-my-cats.html

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So if I remove my pump and the cats. this will or will not mess up the ECU and how the car will run. I am being told on another board that you cannot remove that stuff because you will throw codes and the car will not run right, possibly rich.

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
Nonsense. You will throw TAB/TAD solenoid codes if you take it all out, but it won't affect the EEC. Furthermore these cars only have upstream O2 sensors, they don't give a rat's ass if there's cats behind them or not, so removing the cats doesn't affect how the EEC makes its decisions. Later OBD-II cars also have downstream sensors, they have to be fooled with resistors or tunes if there are no cats ahead of them. That said, your car will stink without cats, it's the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just talked to a tech at LMR. He told me to go with the H pipe and I can go without the pump. He concurs with what you are saying about the computer and codes.
I can get a good deal now on a pump, but for a few buck more. I can get the H pipe and have no cats in the way. I would rather go with that. I don't have to worry about emissions testing. Got collector car insurance and registration on it.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
465 Posts
This might be way out in left field, but has anyone that removed the smog pump tried utilizing the inlet tube into the Cats as part of a Crankcase Evacuation System with any success?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Some online research is saying the evac tube must be installed close to the header tube, so the high speed air can go around the evac tube to create a low pressure area.

I still may give it a try, if I end up removing my smog pump. As long as I have a check valve I don't see it hurting anything.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
I've read about it on various threads on here, and I think it's factory on some cars (not Mustangs, but different makes/models I mean). I'd be interested in reading about it for sure though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have been running my 93 without a smog pump for 2-3 years now and cats are fine. The only reason i had an issue was because i had the alternator fan blowing into the mass air meter. It read to much air due to the vortex it created inside the sensor and gave it WAY to much fuel. It read 1000 HC compared to the 220 HC it was allowed. All i had to do was make sure the alternator fan didn't blow on the intake air of the car and it passed emissions easily.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went for it and got the SVE H pipe from Late Model Restoration. It fit great and sounds so much better. Car is running a lot better, too. I found that I already had 2.5" cat back. So it worked out perfect.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts