Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title says,how fast are you running with this differential.

I'm considering this to replace the pain-in-the-ass-spool thats currently in the car :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have a detroit truetrac in my car for over 2 years with no problems. The fastest my car went with it was a 10.77. The unit is a little heavy but its built to last and take a beating. My runs at the track are with full slicks launching around 5500. I went to this unit from a Powertrax unit which only lasted 1200 miles. You wont be disappointed.

·
Registered
342 Posts
From Jegs, Its been ahile so the price may have went up.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ive run 10.04 at 148mph and multiple 10 sec runs on a basic Ford Racing Torsen diff....

3600lbs weight.

I tried a spool for a while last year. What a POS, never again will I have such a thing near my car. And it didnt make one pick of difference to traction.

back to a Ford Racing Torsen again :)

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive run 10.04 at 148mph and multiple 10 sec runs on a basic Ford Racing Torsen diff....

3600lbs weight.

I tried a spool for a while last year. What a POS, never again will I have such a thing near my car. And it didnt make one pick of difference to traction.

back to a Ford Racing Torsen again :)
Yup, I'll never have a POS spool again. Total pain in the ass.

What exactly is the ford racing torsen differential your talkin about? Never heard of it....

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
^^its made by Torsen, thought by some to be the best torque sensing diff in the world. (they are expensive)
Some of the 4th gen F-bodies came stock with them.

Its usually run on a car for road course purposes, as ive never seen anone run one for serious drag... but according to this guy it works fine and i dont doubt it.

·
Registered
12,251 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Exactly as Arcangl says. Its just a Ford Racing part.

I actually run my best times on 28spline and the Torsen. Although after twisting a shaft or 2, I upgraded to 31 spline.
To get me on the road quickly and cheaply, I bought a spool.....never again.

I think I had been using the 28 spline Torsen for about 3 years before upgrading to 31 spline

I soon reverted back to a 31 spline Torsen ( I got mine from Summit, but any sponsor here should be able to supply ). Im now using MW 31 spline shafts and the Torsen.

Comparing 60fts between spool and Torsen, I personally seen no difference whatsoever.
My best so far, has been in the 1.7x range on 255/50x16 MT DR's

I hope to try some ET Streets soon at a proper drag strip and reduce that further.

I did try them at a venue in Denmark recently, but it isnt a full on drag surface, and was totally unprepped. I did manage a couple of 1.7x 60fts, but only 10.4 at 142mph best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts