Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Dean Scheidt
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure where the Detroit Locker users are so I put this in General Tech and in here.....

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I've read a lot of posts about the Detroit Locker and the opinions sure are varied on how "streetable" it is. :)

I'm tired of the intermittent, but slight, one-wheel-peel I'm having with my TrueTrac so I'm going with a Detroit Locker so my dragstrip launches will be more consistent.

My main question is: The instructions say to measure each tire to make sure they are the same diameter. How exact does this have to be and do I need to check my tires on a regular basis?

By the way, I'm getting the Detroit Locker 187c145a since I'm already running 31-spline axles.

Thanks,
Dean

·
Dean Scheidt
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In regard to my question above, I have the same size tires (M/T DR's 275/50-15) that appear to have worn at the same rate.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I've got a Detroit Locker in my 96 cobra. First rate at the strip but a pain on the street. Gotta kick it out of gear if I'm making a turn into a place to park. It does launch great.

·
Dean Scheidt
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've read several comments about the Detroit Locker being easier to live with in a car with an automatic trans, which is what I have. I don't daily drive it so I'm assuming I can live with the normal noises and tendencies of the DL. It'll also never be driven in rain or other adverse weather conditions that could make the DL more difficult to live with.

My main reason for buying it is for dragstrip use. I want one less variable to worry about when trying to hook up on launch.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
i have had one now for about 10 years and its hasn't been touched since i installed it, which translates to lots of drag strips, donuts, and overall abuse :evil: also, my car does have a more of a rr setup as far as suspension goes with a ta and wl so all the talk about not being to drive the car through corners is bs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts