Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am about to order some much needed diff parts for my car.. So does detroit make their own lockers?? or is a detroit locker just a style of rear end?? I think this will be a great diff for my street / strip warrior. ???

any thoughts???

maybe a set of moser axles and a moser detroit locker?? Or am I missin somethin here??

Chris

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Detroit lockers are made by eaton and one of the best locking differential made there is no slip like a auburn diff . The only better axle locking device is a spool . Be warned though the detroit locker is noisy when it locks and unlocks and if you floor it when going around a corner your car will start to go straight instead of turning .

I am running a 31 spline Detroit locker myself and I chose it as I wanted the best locking diff so I can drive on the street as spools have no business on the street imo . But if your car is a track only car then go with the spool .

·
Registered
86 Posts
First off there is only 1 detroit locker... But Eaton makes a couple different posi/lockers... I have a detroit locker in my 91 GT...
But what are you wanting to do with the car...street/strip it aint bad... the first couple of month on the street mine would shake the whole car when it engaged after a turn but that goes away with use...

Right now i have ALOT of play in the drivetrain yet the backlash with the ring and pinion is right around .007.
And that play is around 45-90 degrees of driveshaft rotation with out tire movement...

That and you have to be sure that both rear tires have to be no more 1/2 inch in circumference or it will destroy the locker... keep a tire pressure guage in the car... your going to use it...
But here is a link
http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/ProductsServices/PerformanceProducts/Products/Differentials/DetroitLocker/index.htm

Check em out and good luck... the detroit locker is a locker though... anytime a load is applied both tires rotate at the same rpm no if's, and's or but's... and thats why i got one... oh and if you run radials on the car... if you turn and stand on the throttle.. your going anywhere but straight...

·
Registered
342 Posts
If you're looking for something thats reliable for both the street and the track, I reccomend the Detroit TrueTrac. I have one and love it. Im also running 31 spline Strange Axles without any problems.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I love mine too. I drive it on the street almost everyday during the nice weather and haven't had any issues since the 2004 installation. At the track, it handles my 5,000 rpm launches with the ET Streets (no spinning) without any problems. It's been rock solid reliable and it doesn't bother my wife or kids. I guess that's the real test. LOL!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts