Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to pick up and buy, assuming all works out, a 2000 Saleen S281 Convt S/C. I can list all of the options here, but don't see its necessity unless someone wants to see them.
What I want to know is this...what do I need to do to guarantee it is an authentic Saleen and not a clone? I know most of the Saleen parts can be purchased and added on, but the resale value is not the same. I know once I purchase it I can contact Saleen and they can send me a letter, but what about before I purchase? I've been told it would not come back as a Saleen in a VIN check. Any advice or tips that can be posted to help me guarantee this is a real, true and legit Saleen would be much appreciated before I decide to purchase the car. I'm traveling quite a distance by plane to purchase and I'd like to be able to see for sure beforehand that it is a true Saleen, but any tips to help me once on site would be appreciated as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
if you cannot contact saleen and you go look at the car......you can take it to a mechanic and when it is on the lift their should be a red Saleen stamp on the frame right behind the rear right wheel. all the other badging can be purchased.......except for the shifter badge......but even that could be bought from saleen if you have someone call with their vin #......good luck:)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I spoke with Liz at Saleen and she faxed me the window sticker and verified the car is an authentic Saleen according the the VIN, now I just have to check and make sure its the right vin and make sure there are no major probs with the car. I already verified it has a carfax clean title...

I can't wait to start modifying it now - my 95 GT just got put in the shop to get FINALLY completed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts