Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worthwhile to get the full length version or is the MAF forward enough?

Will the full length version fit under the strut tower brace?

Thanks
Anthony

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Anthony,

I R&D'd the Powerpipe for John over the last 3-4 months. I just put the finished product on my cobra 2 days ago.

To answer your questions:

1. I would get the full length version. The MAF to TB pipe is dented and is a very "turbulant" path for air to travel through.

2. Yes, it fits under the stock STB. You have to make 2 minor modifications though. 1- You must remove a small tab from your STB so that it doesn't dent the rubber elbow in and possibly rub a hole in the tube. This is the part of the STB that sticks out and away from the strut tower on the passenger's side. Don't worry, the STB is still fully functional once this piece is removed. 2- you must remove one of the small stud that helps to hold down the spark plug cover. Otherwise, the tube won't fit between the STB and valve cover. Plus, the stud would probably poke a hole in the rubber tube and maybe even break the plastic part of the pipe. Don't worry bout this either, because you will still have 3 nuts/studs holding the spark plug cover onto the valve cover.

John should actually have pics from my setup on his website. If they aren't up there yet, they will be. It is a tight fit, but it does fit under the STB. I was very persistent with John that a lot of guys(including me) would buy the pipe only IF it fit under the Stock STB. After 4 months of back and forth shipping of parts, emails, and pictures we have arrived at the finished pipe for the 96-97 Cobras with STB's installed.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I put my full length on last Friday and I decided to leave my STB off for the time being. I don't have a dremel tool to cut that piece off so that it'll fit. I figured that I don't do any road racing and that I wouldn't need the STB, plus extra weight. However, if it is as easy as you say it is to make it fit, I might give it a try.
I had a C&L MAF before and switched back to the stock MAF and the full length Densecharger. I actually felt more part throttle response with the Densecharger than I had with the C&L. I can't really tell that much of a difference in the upper rpms.

John

·
Registered
524 Posts
Having a '96 with the STB, I'm really interested in this too. I went to the densecharger web site -- no pics of this setup yet. Please post when they come out, or if you have pics, please post here. Maybe we can get a GP for Cobra owners.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I can send everyone some pics via email. If you want pics, send me an email at [email protected] and I will send you the pics when I get home tonight. The pics are on my home PC and I am at work for another 4 hours.

I used a hacksaw to remove the part on the STB and a pair of vice-grips to remove the stud on the valve cover.

As for performance, I will be track testing the stock pipe vs. the Powerpipe on the 18th of this month. It is a 5 min swap so I plan on running about 3 time only runs with the stock pipe and 3 time only runs with the power pipe. I wish I could say whether it made a SOTP difference, but I put it on 2 days after I put on longtube headers, so the car is a different beast altogether. However, I am confident that this pipe will make more power than the stock dented pipe.... no doubt in my mind.

If you have any other questions, I will do my best to answer them.

Patrick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts