Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting my move to E Street Prepared for with my 2007 GT. In fact I already have some stuff done, plan to have some more done by next week, and hope to get some early shake down time by the 11th.

The current plan is for this to be the ride for most, if not all of the 2010 Solo National season. We'll see what we can do with one....

I don't really blog, or anything like that, but some have asked me to let them know if/when I decided to do this as they were interested in the build. So I'm letting them know. :)

·
Registered
488 Posts
Very cool, Sam. What are you starting with, in terms of changes?

When my Shelby sells, I'm going to be without an autocross car for awhile...I could see finding an early S197 and building it into an ESP ride, eventually. I think you could build a winning car and still have something that would be every bit as good as the Shelby around town...but lots faster ;)

·
Authorized corral.net Advertiser
579 Posts
Didn't you get the memo, build a WRX ? :)

This will be a cool project. The S197's have a ton of potential and watching Madarash/Strano/<the fast wrx guy, Greg?> shoot it out will be a hoot and bring back memories of the Strano/Jorgensen wars back at Forbes.

DaveW

·
Registered
506 Posts
So, is the GT500 on the same line in ESP? All it says is "Mustang (‘05+) (S197)"
(Just thinking 540 hp would be nice)

·
Registered
780 Posts
I can't believe your going to turn a perfectly good FS car into another ESP monster......:rolleyes:J/K! Keep us posted after the first event. You going to FedEx? Are you able to share any "stuff done" at this time? :drool:

Good luck with the build,

·
Registered
568 Posts
So, is the GT500 on the same line in ESP? All it says is "Mustang (‘05+) (S197)"
(Just thinking 540 hp would be nice)
Pretty sure it's an ESP car, but that's a HUGE amount of weight over the nose of the car. Iron 5.4, supercharger, intercooler...

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Went back to double check. The GT500 actually starts out in A Stock. I guess it goes to ESP because I don't see anything else listed for GT500 in Street Prepared

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not ready to start releasing information, better to get some stuff done and start doing some shake down first. I just wanted to make you guys aware I was doing this, and this is, in part, how I figure out what to do for you guys when you call.

Madarash and McCance were fast this year, I noticed. And if I can't make the Mustang run, I have my Camaro as a fall back (being proven). I ran it yesterday in fact to reset a baseline--it's still fast. :) Just need a new project!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
... I ran it yesterday in fact to reset a baseline--it's still fast. :) Just need a new project!

Sam, your record speaks for itself and ever since I started autocrossing with CPR last year I've heard about you and your skill level. When you made your first run yesterday I knew you'd be fast, but when you ripped off a 51.9 on cold tires on your first run and the fastest guys to run before you ran 52.5's on their best runs with warm tires my jaw dropped. I was absolutely amazed. In any motorsport hobby there is usually someone with hype surrounding them, unfortunately most don't live up to it. Suffice to say you do and then some as was made evident to me yesterday. I can see without a doubt now why you are the champion that you are. It was a real treat getting to see you run yesterday... I hope if nothing else you got a laugh out of watching me and my sideways and reverse through the finish line antics. :) The old drag racer in me just keeps wanting to put that pedal on the right to the floor at all times. :mad:

Best of luck to you in your new ESP endeavor, I for one can't wait to see the results and I hope to see you at more of our local events.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Sam, your record speaks for itself and ever since I started autocrossing with CPR last year I've heard about you and your skill level. When you made your first run yesterday I knew you'd be fast, but when you ripped off a 51.9 on cold tires on your first run and the fastest guys to run before you ran 52.5's on their best runs with warm tires my jaw dropped. I was absolutely amazed. In any motorsport hobby there is usually someone with hype surrounding them, unfortunately most don't live up to it. Suffice to say you do and then some as was made evident to me yesterday. I can see without a doubt now why you are the champion that you are. It was a real treat getting to see you run yesterday... I hope if nothing else you got a laugh out of watching me and my sideways and reverse through the finish line antics. :) The old drag racer in me just keeps wanting to put that pedal on the right to the floor at all times. :mad:

Best of luck to you in your new ESP endeavor, I for one can't wait to see the results and I hope to see you at more of our local events.
That's very kind of you to say... Thank you. I guess it's not too bad for a car that I've raced once this year on a set of two year old tires I bought from Jim Pahel. :D

The second run I was @ 50.9, and ended up coning a 50.3 and stood on a 50.5. And had riders on all my runs but the coned 50.3 too. For those that weren't there (which is everyone else), the 52.5's were made by Corvettes, a Z06 and a Grand Sport.

And I do appreciate you letting me know the fan switch was hit and it was running. Would have sucked to have had a dead battery! I see some potential there in your driving. And it might not be all you, fwiw. For example, between a worn differential and trashed tires the cars are really, really, terribly loose.

As for the Mustang, I'm doing it for two reasons. I feel it's a better chassis than the Camaro, and want to see if I can do it. Doesn't hurt that proving I can setup a good car helps my business either. ;)

FWIW, you should feel free to talk to me about your car. I know we spoke a bit on Sunday, but I can do SN95 stuff too, and as I stated aside from the things I carry on my own, I am a WD for Steeda and a dealer for Maximum Motorsports too. I don't always subscibe to their ready made solutions when I think I can do something a little better, which annoys both of them. But I think I've proven that I can think on my own and come up with a competitive result.

·
Registered
306 Posts
sounds good! I want to eventually go to ESP with my car, i'm keeping myself in FS now so i don't spend any more money i don't have while in school haha.

excited to see how it turns out!

·
Registered
186 Posts
FWIW, you should feel free to talk to me about your car. I know we spoke a bit on Sunday, but I can do SN95 stuff too, and as I stated aside from the things I carry on my own, I am a WD for Steeda and a dealer for Maximum Motorsports too. I don't always subscibe to their ready made solutions when I think I can do something a little better, which annoys both of them. But I think I've proven that I can think on my own and come up with a competitive result.
Quoted for truth, Sam has been helping me build my ESP SN95 Cobra for the past year or so and I don't know where I would be without his advice. He's always been dead on the money with his suggestions and he's the type of guy that will (and has a bunch of times) flat out tell you not to buy something if it's not going to make you faster or if there is something cheaper that will do the same thing.

·
Registered
438 Posts
i too was there sunday , i was riding in the black m3 all day riding with my first time buddy who got an stn win! great runs sam and i hope to get some more seat time in my esp svo before the end of the year

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A work in progress. :)

Considering it was a first shot, it went ok, but there is work to be done. Day 1 I was competitive even though the car was too tight. Day 2, I got the balance more where I wanted it, but because there were 3 or 4 pulls out of right hand corners, uphill the lack of torque in the basically stock 4.6 and the stock diff killed me. It was mostly seat time and rough balance tuning.

On the list currently is a spring change, get a race seat in. Then over the winter get a limited slip in, light clutch/flywheel, etc.

I'll get it better, just not overnight. Building a car starting in October is never easy.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Sam, if you're looking for more chances to dial that car in as you're building it, my region is running a winter series again this year into next year at NJMP. We're still finalizing the dates with the track but we'll have 4 events which will start in December and end in March.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll keep that in mind. Right now I'm considering the Philly event on the 25th as well to try out the spring and seat changes.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts