Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I posted a few weeks ago about puchasing a '01 Cobra vs. a '00 Contour SVT. Anyway, this Friday I'll be purchasing a 2001 Cobra coupe (Mineral Grey with dark charcoal and all options--polished wheels and wing). The best part is that the car has ONLY 278 miles and is an hour away. I talked the owner into $25k after he said $27k firm two weeks ago. He's a car collector and it has been stored since purchase in October '01. I just wanted to thank everyone here for their input and help. I'm definitely not new to the mustang world (my '91 LX is getting a 550hp 351W stroker), but have little knowledge of the mod motors. I really would like to keep it close to stock until the warranty expires (insert laughs here), but please tell me which mods you feel are worthwhile. I'm thinking shifter, K&N, 4.10s, and slight tint until warranty and then headers, X-pipe, cat-back, MAF, intake pipe and chip. Any other general info. on your experiences with the mod Cobras appreciated. Thanks for your time, James

·
Registered
439 Posts
Gears = instant gratification in performance,
Bassani Cat back = instant gratification in sound,

And rev that donk to 7000 :cool:

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
biminiLX said:
2001 Cobra coupe (Mineral Grey with dark charcoal and all options--polished wheels and wing). The best part is that the car has ONLY 278 miles and is an hour away.

I really would like to keep it close to stock until the warranty expires (insert laughs here), but please tell me which mods you feel are worthwhile. I'm thinking shifter, K&N, 4.10s, and slight tint until warranty and then headers, X-pipe, cat-back, MAF, intake pipe and chip. Any other general info. on your experiences with the mod Cobras appreciated. Thanks for your time, James
Most of those things on your list will give you warranty trouble, especially a chip. However, I wouldn't let that stop me. I would suggest 4.30 gears instead of 4.10's (but you'll probably counter with "but I do a lot of highway milage, blah, blah, blah." If you go with 4.10, in time you'll wish you went with 4.30. If you go with 4.30, you'll wish you went with 4.56, etc. ad nauseum.

MAF should wait until last, just before the S/C. I would do K&N, shifter and Quadrant/firewall adjuster (UPR) with stock cable right away.

Next, do the X-pipe and pullies. That will get you a great car. After that, you'll be in search of traction.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I can share some mod experiences with you in person--I live in the Toledo area as well. Maybe we can meet at a local watering hole.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts