Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
1958? Wow. That thing was bad-ass for it's time. Very interesting history and reasons for Canada shelving it's production.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yep. It was a very poor decision that to this day has affected our aerospace industry, in my opinion. At least the U.S. government was smart enough to hire some of the people that worked on the Arrow for N.A.S.A.

·
11,039 Posts
1. That must have been an expensive bird.
2. I'm going to opine that the video is biased towards the Arrow; extolling it's every promised feature and deriding all competitors.
example: the reality was that the Arrow was still in development and I don't believe its radar or weapons had been integrated. The purpose of the five initial aircraft was to find out what real-world problems existed, including handling problems. This usually leads to a cycle of correcting major problems prior to full rate production, so give that 18 months. Meanwhile the F-101 was already operational.
3. the video is silly to imply that all of Canada, that is, every square inch of forest and uninhabited snow-covered island, needed to be protected from Soviet attack. The truth is that major cities needed to be protected, and missiles with a 200 mile range would be adequate for that mission.
(Having said that, Soviet bombers would actually be attacking the US, the job of the RCAF is actually to enforce airspace sovereignty, and for that they would need interceptors.)
4. Does one really need a Mach3 interceptor to chase down turboprop bombers?
5. An interceptor has one task. The lesson of the 50s and 60s is that fighters can be fighters, bombers, and interceptors, but interceptors can only be interceptors. Just one look at the Arrow and a layman can tell that the aircraft had no growth potential, and a titanium aircraft would never be risked on something as mundane as attacking a bridge.

The death of the Arrow is not actually that much of a mystery, IMHO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts