Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this ok? And yes, I know how to change my own oil. Being here at school, I am not able to do this.
Anyways, the car says to put 5w20, but I looked at my recipt, and it said 5w30.. Is this ok?

·
Registered
12 Posts
fakefvc said:
Is this ok? And yes, I know how to change my own oil. Being here at school, I am not able to do this.
Anyways, the car says to put 5w20, but I looked at my recipt, and it said 5w30.. Is this ok?
Same thing happened to me. I specifically said "5w20" and they told me thats fine. Well I get my receipt and it said 5w30, so I told the service manager what happened. He tried to talk me out of draining the oil and putting 5 20 in it, saying it doesn't make a difference, etc etc. But I told him the oil cap and manual say 5w20 for a reason, and I want what I asked and paid for. So they drained the 5 30 and put in 5 20, and gave me a card for a free oil change b/c of the extra time. Just make sure and tell them specifically 5w20, b/c the older 4.6's take 5w30, and they will put that in w/o thinking twice.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yeah, it's OK. I'm almost positive that there were no physical changes to the 4.6 when they approved 5W-20 (in late '00). The 4.6 was originally designed for 5W-30, but testing indicated acceptable durability with 5W-20 (along with a miniscule increase in gas mileage and power, I'd guess), so they approved it. Ford now even approves 5W-20 in many of their cars from the '90s, way before 5W-20 oil came out.

For what it's worth, my late-production '00 GT came with a 5W-20 oil cap, but the sticker under the hood and the owner's manual both say to use 5W-30. Thanks for making that crystal clear, Ford! :rolleyes: The bottom line is that either is OK. Keep in mind that the next post will probably claim that your engine is already ruined, etc., etc., but that's just internet BS if you ask me. (A guy I work with used 10W-40 in his '99 Cobra the first time he changed the oil. Now 30K+ miles later, it runs perfectly, has never had any engine problems at all, doesn't use any oil, etc.)

By the way, I use Mobil 1 5W-30 in my GT. I'll try 5W-20 Mobil 1 as soon as it's available.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Re: Re: Dealer put 5w30 in my car

UA2k1GT said:

Same thing happened to me. I specifically said "5w20" and they told me thats fine. Well I get my receipt and it said 5w30, so I told the service manager what happened. He tried to talk me out of draining the oil and putting 5 20 in it, saying it doesn't make a difference, etc etc. But I told him the oil cap and manual say 5w20 for a reason, and I want what I asked and paid for. So they drained the 5 30 and put in 5 20, and gave me a card for a free oil change b/c of the extra time. Just make sure and tell them specifically 5w20, b/c the older 4.6's take 5w30, and they will put that in w/o thinking twice.
Uh- it really does not matter:)
In fact, you would have been better of with the 5w30 than the 5w20- but either one is quite ok.
Sg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stupid ford techs.. :rolleyes:

How would it blow up your engine? COme to think of it, the first time I changed my oil, my MPG dropped. I think they used 5w30 the first time they changed it.... Dip $hits.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thought I read somewhere that the oil tends to break down (detergents/additives or whatever) faster/sooner if the spread in the weight is wider. Ie. 10-30 is better than 5-30 or 5-20 would be better than 5-30.
Or was it that the oil tends to take on the properties of the lower weight sooner because of the additives used to make the oil multi-weight over a wider range. The oil will thin out and not take on its rated viscosity when hot.

Clayton

·
Registered
43 Posts
What the numbers mean is : 5w-30,will not get any thinner than 5 weight,wont get any thicker than 30 weight

·
Registered
200 Posts
snakecharmer1,
Not sure if your reply was directed at me, but I guess what I was trying to say is the oil will loss its capability to reach its high viscosity rating (30 w) sooner when you use a multi-viscosity oil that has a wide viscosity rating, 5 - 30w vice 5-20. So, for example, instead of acting like a 30w oil when hot it will act like a 20w oil. It's just something that I vaguely remember reading and thought I would share it. Perhaps my memory is wrong ...

Clayton

·
Registered
318 Posts
5W20

the 5W relates to the ability to flow when cold ( W=winter). The next number 30/20/whatever is the film thickness, the ability to maintain a film of oil between two moving surfaces under pressure...crank&bearing ...whatever.. Thinner oil pumps with less friction... friction uses up power/gas milage. Ford gets better fleet milage numbers with 5W20, so they use that to certify the year models.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so it is ok that I have 5w30 in the car?

·
Registered
234 Posts
What I would do is leave it in and keep the receipt. Then, if you bring in the car for warranty work and they hassle you about mods causing the failure, tell them it must have been the incorrect oil they used.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Those idiots.

I guarantee if you had changed the oil and put 5W-30, then spun a bearing, took it in for warranty work, and they found out there was 5W-30 in the pan, they'd be saying;"Oh Mr. Smith, your incorrect oil caused the problem...."

I hate changing oil myself but I always do it because I don't trust anyone, especially some of the deprtment stores or quickie lube places. Yeah, Speedy lube is gonna run out and buy $ 1.77 /qt Motorcraft 5W-20, when they got a whole 55 gallon drum of 5W-30 or 10w-30 sitting in the bay![another thing, why is it 0.50 more than 5W-30 Motorcraft? ripoff]

My fear is that the engine clearances might be real tight in the '01's and 20 weight will squeeze through the engine/cam bearings when cold just that much better than 30W. I know it is being a worrywart, but I can't help it..........

Mike

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'll switch to 5W-20 when Mobil 1 releases it in their synthetic line. Meanwhile 5W-30 has given me no problems after almost 30 thousand miles.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
5W-20 will be the same viscosity at 0 degrees as 5W-30. It's a range at which the oil will maintain it's viscosity. In other words 5W-30 is actually a more capable oil under hot conditions, but it has the same capabilities in cold conditions as 5W-20. If your worried about viscosity breakdown at a "most used" viscosity range then run synthetic. Ever notice synthetics have a wider viscosity range?

Ed

·
Registered
106 Posts
>>>What I would do is leave it in and keep the receipt. Then, if you bring in the car for warranty work and they hassle you about mods causing the failure, tell them it must have been the incorrect oil they used.<<<

Want to bet you'd get a story about a computer glitch or something that caused the wrong oil to be listed on your recipt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts