Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Mustang
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to soon start a build for my 1985 mustang soon. This is going to be a weekend street car. What I do want is a broad torque curve for the street. I have a set of 190cc canfield heads 64cc combustion chambers that I'm building around. Hopefully they're not from the infamous lot which were prone to cracking. I figure I'm going to use them and see what happens. I also have all the odds and ends of the original 302, as well as mac 1 5/8 long tubes and a full mac exhaust. My question is: what are the pitfalls and extra costs I will run into if i use the tall deck and build a 427 vs the 8.2 for 363?

Hood: I have both the stock and cowl. I'd like to use the stock but for the extra displacement I would switch to the cowl
Exhaust: I'll need different headers. That mac exhaust was too loud for me now anyhow so in either case i may start with something different
Accessory brackets: I'll need to get the 351w swap brackets but the cost isn't more than a few hundred.
oil pan: I need a new oil pan in either case.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
If you don't mind adapting everything for the Windsor and don't mind dealing with hood clearance issues, you'd be nuts to not do a 4.125 bore x 4.000 stroke Windsor.

·
Registered
7,510 Posts
For the cost of selling the exhaust and buying new stuff, Do the 9.5! I stuck with a 8.2 because I got a screaming deal on it, and knew I could boost the hell out of it with the blower I already had.

Reactions: pkstang

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
In an article of Hot Rod or Mustang 360, they built a short deck 363, and a Tall deck 363, and the short deck 363 made more power. However, if you want a bigger cube motor, you obviously need the tall deck. At the end of the day, it is really about how much money you want to spend, and how fast do you want to go. Me, I want to build a 10 second street car, an 8.2" deck hyd roller will get it done rather easily with modern high performance parts available today.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I built a 363 to ‘re-use’ stuff from my stock block 5.0. I ended up buying everything new anyways so I wish I would’ve just gone 408 or bigger.

Don’t forget a distributor and lower manifold on your list.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
I'm buying stuff new also, I like high revving motors. My E90 M3 spoiled me with that. I'm building an 8000 rpm 8.2" deck 363. Love it, but it isn't for everyone.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a 1966 mustang, and am building a 363 ONLY because the engine bay is really tight. You can cram a 351W block into one, but the headers are crammed against the shock towers even worse than they are with the smaller engine. If I had a FOX body, I would absolutely go with the 9.5" route.

This being said, if you are only using it on the street with real street tires... either engine built correctly will turn them into smoke. The 427 will do it with a big fat torque curve, and won't have to be revved as hard, and won't need as loose of a converter as the 363. (if you're running an automatic) 363 is fun with a stick shift.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1985 Mustang
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the recommendations. I pulled the trigger on a FordStrokers 427 diy build short block. Yeah, i'm a slow decision maker. Now to work on the fuel system and choosing and intake manifold.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
You made the correct decision. :coffee:

·
Registered
7,510 Posts
Good choice.

·
Registered
281 Posts
good choice .... i went with a 331 to kill a little of the hit since i was trying to run drag radials and stock style suspension... made 1149rwhp with a 91.5mm turbo. if i had went 438 or so with a tall deck i suspect i would have made another 200 to 300 horsepower but my turbo would have been easier to spool. when in doubt always go the extra cubic inches...

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I have been running a NA 427W based on a Dart Sportsman block for the past 8 years or so. For me the hood clearance issue has been problematic and has frustrated me to know end. I have gone from a 3" cowl to a 6" cowl and now back to a 3" cowl as I changed from elbow to 4 barrel throttle body and then back to elbow. If you are confident you are going to just drop your combo in the engine bay, button it up, and then be less inclined to tinker or change setups, then 351W based engine has more to offer. If howerver, like me, you tend to rethink and change things around. The availability of 351W parts, especially used ones, are much much less than 302. For myself, just based on what I do with my car, if I had to do it over I would go with a dart based 302 stroker.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts