Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey fellas,

I'm in the market for either a Dart sportsman or iron eagle 331 motor set up for a T76. I've been doing my research but there are so many options to go with. The car will only be used as a weekend warrior that has decent drivability and A/C. Looking for about 600-700hp on pump gas.

Does anyone know of a good builder that could build an engine ready for a turbo such as this?

Not sure which heads, cam, and pistons to use. Looking for no more than 8.5:1 compression.

This will be going in a 92gt with a five speed.

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Turbo Dart motor making 600-700 along with supporting hardware........cause at those power levels pretty much nothing remains stock long........you are looking to empty yours and others bank accounts. See my sig. Keeping A/C and P/S and keeping it cool become your next issues for street duty. I run mine on E85 but that comes with it's own set of problems.

Go with Woody and set aside $10k for the long block from pan to intake.

Call up Brian at B&G and get the upgraded kit.

Build out your fuel system with the best you can afford. Me, I went with a BBRC tank with a Magnafuel 750 mounted in it, etc.

Every where you turn it is $2,000 here $3,000 there. Good luck. And in the end, it is not worth 1/5th what you put in it. You can buy what you are gonna build from the classifieds for $12,000-16,000. If you just want to work on it, order gaskets, and tear it apart and put it back together. Still be cheaper.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Questions

Why such a low CR?
Why not get more cubes and do a 363?

Street car or full build race car?

I am going to assume is a street car
Suggest more cubes and compression.

I have a 9.3:1 363 (from Rick Hawver) and a 76GTSHP with a lil ole 3" downpipe and it makes over 900 rwhp under 6k on E85

kbscobravert speaks the truth, big power is expensive.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks for the replies guys. What do you all recommend for just a weekend warrior? Is a Dart Iron Eagle, Or Sportsman really needed for what I want? Just looking to have a respectable amount of power with the comfort of knowing I have a strong block.

I'll ping ford strokers for some more help. Your thoughts and wisdom are more than appreciated.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Questions

Why such a low CR?
Why not get more cubes and do a 363?

Street car or full build race car?

I am going to assume is a street car
Suggest more cubes and compression.

I have a 9.3:1 363 (from Rick Hawver) and a 76GTSHP with a lil ole 3" downpipe and it makes over 900 rwhp under 6k on E85

kbscobravert speaks the truth, big power is expensive.

Out of curiosity what kinda boost psi to make that power and is it maxed out with that turbo and what heads?......I have a similar combo that I just put together... Thanks.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
it made 954 at 26psi, I do not think it is done yet, I do not know how much is still left I assume it has to be close to all in at that boost level.

Currently its about 23psi and around 920/920

AFR 205's not ported.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Turbo Dart motor making 600-700 along with supporting hardware........cause at those power levels pretty much nothing remains stock long........you are looking to empty yours and others bank accounts. See my sig. Keeping A/C and P/S and keeping it cool become your next issues for street duty. I run mine on E85 but that comes with it's own set of problems.

Go with Woody and set aside $10k for the long block from pan to intake.

Call up Brian at B&G and get the upgraded kit.

Build out your fuel system with the best you can afford. Me, I went with a BBRC tank with a Magnafuel 750 mounted in it, etc.

Every where you turn it is $2,000 here $3,000 there. Good luck. And in the end, it is not worth 1/5th what you put in it. You can buy what you are gonna build from the classifieds for $12,000-16,000. If you just want to work on it, order gaskets, and tear it apart and put it back together. Still be cheaper.
^^^^^ What he said. I'm working on the final stages of my Build. An like he said 1,000 here 2,000 there easy . I ordering a fuel system from Gleens performance it's a cool 1,800 . So plan plan plan . Also I'm running a 363 Dart block from WOODY :salute:

·
Registered
644 Posts
I like keeping the cubes down especially in a T4 platform. Boost is the replacement for displacement. I like the 3.25" arm over the 3.4". Just a better rod ratio. Either will make nasty power.

I agree on compression. Even with pumpgas Id run higher. I'll be on E85 and Im running flat tops making nearly 10.5. The SHP will be fine. I went with the Sportsman because I wanted it to take anything I ever throw at it. But it also got AP steel rings, tool steel wrist pins, etc.

Honestly if that's all youre shooting for Id save the money and run a stock block 9.5" deck.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
All these calls for higher CR and I am sitting on 8.1:1 it combined with the Ed curtis cam and LQ9 coil on plug, the car idles, drives and pulls like a stock motor with 3 times the power. I made 642rwhp and we left a TON of timing on the table. In fact, on E85 my timing is so low, my EGTs in the DP are WAY TOO high. A gauge is going in to better judge that theory and to tune with. So hopefully we can get in the 800's on E85 at 15-16#s of boost and over 1,000 on a "kill" tune and 20-22#s.

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
Depending on cylinder head the 4.125 bore can result in more power because it unshrouds the valves.

For your power levels the SHP or sportsman should be fine, I have been making 1300 or so flywheel with a sportsman for quite a while and it is fine.

I would agree that with a 76 you want to be careful with how aggressive you get with the motor because you could get to the point where it is too much motor for the turbo. I overspun and destroyed a PT78 on my 347.

I run a 3.25 stroke, 4.125 bore 347 with 9.25:1 compression and and aggressive cam. That was enough to grenade the PT78.

My setup right now seems reasonably well matched with a T4 based 88 and my motor and the packaging fits reasonably well.

Just my $.02 but if you have a local reputable engine builder it could be an advantage to work with him. Anthony at DiSomma Racing Engines has become a great advisor to what I am doing with my car even though his work is good enough that I have only had to have him build my motor once. Sort of funny how good work doesn't necessarily result in repeat business...we have joked about it a couple of times.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I just think most are trying to say that with todays technology in cams and tuning you dont need low compression. Itll certainly help spool up a turbo.

Both can and will make big power.

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
I just think most are trying to say that with todays technology in cams and tuning you dont need low compression. Itll certainly help spool up a turbo.

Both can and will make big power.
I agree 100%, my next refresh will have this motor at 10.5:1 compression and a new custom cam.

I only run C16 because it is worthwhile insurance against breaking expensive motor parts.

·
Registered
295 Posts
MJ,,,What kind of boost levels were you able to make with a 76mm T4 based on that 347?....I have a 78mm on my 363 and I have yet to turn it up but I was told Id be lucky to make 20psi....Does this sound about right?...The exhaust is a 79mm with a 3.5 down pipe...7879 .96ar on exhaust with a 3.5dp...Also I have been told that if Im not making that much boost it may be pushing open the BOV or Wastegate...Still working the bugs out....

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
MJ,,,What kind of boost levels were you able to make with a 76mm T4 based on that 347?....I have a 78mm on my 363 and I have yet to turn it up but I was told Id be lucky to make 20psi....Does this sound about right?...The exhaust is a 79mm with a 3.5 down pipe...7879 .96ar on exhaust with a 3.5dp...Also I have been told that if Im not making that much boost it may be pushing open the BOV or Wastegate...Still working the bugs out....
I was only able to make 18 or so psi, and yes it was blowing the waste gates open due to back pressure. If you keep pushing it, eventually you create so much strain on the turbo it can twist the shaft and take the bearing out.

On the same motor I now run a 99 mm exhaust wheel on the GT5088.

My advice would be not to push it, you will reach a breaking point and you just have to realize you are out of turbo. It is easier to buy a new one when you can sell the old one.

·
Registered
295 Posts
MCJ is that a T4 Flange and what size down pipe is it? Do you know of any 88mm's that use a T4 with a 3.5 downpipe? As I just did my build and dont want to have to do new hotside.....All the 88mm's I see with a T4 have a 4" dP.....Thanks.

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
MCJ is that a T4 Flange and what size down pipe is it? Do you know of any 88mm's that use a T4 with a 3.5 downpipe? As I just did my build and dont want to have to do new hotside.....All the 88mm's I see with a T4 have a 4" dP.....Thanks.
A 4 inch pipe slips over the flange, a 3.5 buts up against it, either work.

Same flange, different pipe connected to it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts