Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of purchasing a 2nd hand D&D K Member for $400 for the K member and A-arms. First, is that a good deal? It was bolted to the car, but never driven.

Whats everyone's experiences with this piece? I assume it will require a switch to coil overs in the front, so how much will that cost and how much better will they work than my current four cylinder spring and 90/10 strut setup?

Does the D&D allow enough header space? I'm running MAC 1 3/4s that are AOD specific and am running a C4 tranny.

Will the D&D allow me to continue to use the stock power steering setup, or will I have to change to manual?

How much weight will be lost with the switch?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I would stay away from the D&D stuff. They are real narrow at the rear mounting area and header fit is worse than stock. When I had my old combo with Hooker 1 3/4 they hit in the back. After I got my new combo with Kooks 2" they wouldn't even get close to fitting so I bought a PA k-member and everything fit.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
hey from everything i have read i would get the PA ...ask your self why would someone buy a D&D bolt it all up and then sell it ...must not of fit good

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well his claim is that he was switching to a chromoly AJE K Member. He's dropped the price to $380 for me now. So you guys don't think its worth that even if I have to grind a little bit for header clearance? The MAC headers are very wide and are actually hitting the frame rail of the car and are clear of the stock K member.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My D&D k member fit just great, on both cars that it's been on. Header clearance was just wonderful. Maybe the problem with clearance comes into play with the Central Mexico header mentioned above, I had lots of room with my RCI 1 3/4".
Sounds like a good deal to me, I'd buy the setup.
As for coilovers, check out X2C for a nice set, that is cheap. Front and rear right now are $244.00 shipped I believe.
Phil

·
US Air Force Active Duty
1,393 Posts
Sounds like a good deal to me too but I would at least offer him $350. My 1 5/8 MAC's fit fine with the D&D K. I have a new set of 1 3/4 Kooks to put in if I ever get the car back from the bodyshop.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
All you have to is compare the D&D side by side with a stock k-member and you'll see where the header clearance sucks. As mentioned above, it's where the k-member bolts to the subframe at the back. It's actually narrower than stock. That doesn't mean all headers won't fit. Some fit fine and some don't.

BUT, if you're going to buy a tubular k-member, why buy the one designed by a monkey?? Look at pictures of other k-members. Think of the bolt holes in the back as being fixed in location. Now look at where the k-member "hoop" ties into these mounting points. On well designed k-members like the AJE and PA performance units, the tubes are pushed out much further to allow more clearance. The D&D is just a poor design, period.

I curse my pos D&D everytime I pull my headers. They fit fine once they're bolted up but it would be a heck of a lot easier to install them with a better k-member. Between my scattershield and k-member there's hardly any clearance to work with the headers.

D&D a-arms are also questionable. My buddy had one of his ball joints push out the bottom of the a-arm. He called D&D and they said "oops, yeah you should tack weld those in." :rolleyes:

I have no complaints about my D&D coilovers. :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
White88GT
The second headers I had that wouldn't fit were Kooks,not hardly Central Mexico. The k-members are poorly designed. Did you have any trouble getting your motor to sit straight? I did.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Ive had good luck with my D&D K-member and coil overs. Bolted right up and clears BBK 1 3/4 LT's
-tyler

·
Registered
785 Posts
D&D

Carl, My "claim" is true. I found a good deal on a moly AJE and arms that is headed my way. The D&D and arms were bolted on my car and then sent to the paint shop. I figured since I had the opportunity I would get the lighter set-up. I haven't put the motor in yet, so I can't comment on header clearance (like I told you).

D&D, some like'm, some hate'm.

No worries. The D&D k-member and a-arms will sell for $380 at FFW Houston....

Good luck selling your vert.

JON.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts