Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Team Z claims cutting their drag springs a coil will compromise the spring. How is it any different than cutting a regular v8 spring? I’m in a spot where cutting a coil is about my only option. Any thoughts? Having a hard time seeing how it’s any different.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Team Z claims cutting their drag springs a coil will compromise the spring. How is it any different than cutting a regular v8 spring? I’m in a spot where cutting a coil is about my only option. Any thoughts? Having a hard time seeing how it’s any different.
What did they say on how it compromises them compared to cutting stock springs? I would definitely ask them and get their take on it.

ks

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They didn’t get into detail on how it will compromise the spring. My issue is I just installed MM Extreme drag LCA’s and Team Z drag springs. The spring perch is adjusted all the way down and the ride hood way to height still. My only option is cutting the coil or loosing my ass on brand new $500 control arms.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Return the springs and use stock springs and cut them to what you want. Then make sure you have GOOD DBL adjustable rear shocks and let the shocks to the work. Stock springs have gone damn fast when you have good springs with them.

People love spending $$ and they will find a reason to buy about anything whether it helps them or not.

1. Want a different spring? Why???? To make the rearend stiffer? That's what DBL adj SHOCKS are for.

2. Want the rearend to be softer? That's what DBL adj SHOCKS are for.

What some people also don't realize is when they install stiffer rear springs the shocks valving better be strong enough to control the stiffer spring. The spring will work cheap shocks really hard to the point where the shock may not be able to control the spring properly.

fyi, this thread is in the Parts For Sale..:nerd:

ks

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your time Kevin. I only swapped springs because I can’t stand the ride quality of the eibach drag springs. From the sounds of it, I’m better of putting them back on and controlling them with good dbl adj shocks. Or just put some oem springs on and run dbl adjustable shocks.
I have no idea why I put this in “parts for sale” haha

·
Registered
800 Posts
From what I understand TeamZ claims that their springs and upper relocated control arms work as a whole and there specked out small tire valving Strange shocks work as a complete package

·
Registered
698 Posts
When you cut the spring you are changing the spring rate. That is what they mean by saying you're compromising the spring. You're changing the spring rate from the rate they believe is optimum. If you cut the spring with a cutoff wheel, it will maintain the same heat treating. Its not going to actually damage the spring or cause the spring to fail.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I figured that is what they meant by “compromising” the spring. I don’t wanna cut these springs I’ve decided.
As far as having to use these with their relocated uppers, they didn’t mention anything about that to me in the email correspondence. Not saying you are wrong, but they didn’t mention it to me. Guess I’ll just ditch the adjustable ride height control arms and order a set of Kevin’s lowers. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I figured that is what they meant by “compromising” the spring. I don’t wanna cut these springs I’ve decided.
As far as having to use these with their relocated uppers, they didn’t mention anything about that to me in the email correspondence. Not saying you are wrong, but they didn’t mention it to me. Guess I’ll just ditch the adjustable ride height control arms and order a set of Kevin’s lowers. Thanks for the input.
what uppers do you have Kevin’s relocated uppers

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just have regular adjustable uppers for now. Car ran a 8.65 1/4 last year dead straight hook (different motor) so I really haven’t looked into relocated uppers as my current motor has a few hundred less HP, so I think my current setup can handle. But we will see.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts