Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The combination of ASP overdrive/underdrive pulley, and contour fans are sucking way more juice than my 3G alt can handle at idle. I have an ASP overdrive pulley that I have used in the past but it would get belt squeal slipping...(I have a 2.1" on now) Alt is good, batt is good, wiring is good. Not needing tech help for those items.

I've thought about taking my dremel and cutting a few horizontal grooves in the little overdrive pulley similar to the grooves in the billet flow pulleys I have on my terminator. Anyone else dumb enough to try this with success?

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
I think the worst thing would be excess dust from belt? I imagine it would chew the belt a bit. Your best bet is to ditch underdrive pulleys. But I say go for it and keep your eye on the belt wear. I did try a grooved supercharger pulley on a vortech and this was pretty much the result.

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the worst thing would be excess dust from belt? I imagine it would chew the belt a bit. Your best bet is to ditch underdrive pulleys. But I say go for it and keep your eye on the belt wear. I did try a grooved supercharger pulley on a vortech and this was pretty much the result.
I've got everything else dialed in with exactly where I want it to be. With as little as I drive the car belt life isn't anything I'm too worried about. Meh, what the hell. The pulley is only $25.

"Hold my beer and watch this."

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
I've got everything else dialed in with exactly where I want it to be. With as little as I drive the car belt life isn't anything I'm too worried about. Meh, what the hell. The pulley is only $25.

"Hold my beer and watch this

Ill hold your beer!!

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
I don’t know what I did with that last post. Haha

But I’ll hold your beer while you get that pulley going. Let us know your results.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I wouldn't cut grooves. That won't do much but chunk up the belt.

I would blast the pulley surface in the contact areas with a coarse media like ground coal.

When I ran a Vortech V2ti and tried to overspeed it, the belt slipped. I bead blasted the pulley with a real coarse media and the problem went away.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
As a matter of fact, I media blast the inside of my rims. I've done that since the late 1960's when AMC told me to do it.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts